Australian Ethmostigmus rubripes MONSTER!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Pretty potent. Not in the same league as Dehaani, but potent enough to cause severe pain that can last for several days. This isn't coming from experience though, I've just read it on a few pages.

BB8

Arachnosquire
A guy at a pet store told me he got bitten on his finger and within 10 minutes he was calling and ambulance to come chop his finger off.

BB8

Arachnosquire
A guy at a pet store told me he got bitten on his finger and within 10 minutes he was calling and ambulance to come chop his finger off.
he said it hurt for 5 days

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Wow. I'm lucky. I took a bite from my half green/tiger E. rubripes. She's actually a very docile centipede, but out of lack of experience with handling back then, mostly due to being carried away after my success with the S. morsitans, I held her way too long, and too roughly for a first attempt. She caught me completely off guard, and sunk her claws in without warning. Thankfully, I have all the reason to suspect it was a "test bite". I'm not even sure if any venom was injected, as any significant pain died off after about half an hour, and after that, I would only feel a slight pain if I touched the spot where it got me. I lucked out that time. If I were to get nailed by my tiger rubripes, I feel as though it won't be such an easy experience.

BB8

Arachnosquire
Wow. I'm lucky. I took a bite from my half green/tiger E. rubripes. She's actually a very docile centipede, but out of lack of experience with handling back then, mostly due to being carried away after my success with the S. morsitans, I held her way too long, and too roughly for a first attempt. She caught me completely off guard, and sunk her claws in without warning. Thankfully, I have all the reason to suspect it was a "test bite". I'm not even sure if any venom was injected, as any significant pain died off after about half an hour, and after that, I would only feel a slight pain if I touched the spot where it got me. I lucked out that time. If I were to get nailed by my tiger rubripes, I feel as though it won't be such an easy experience.
Does anyone else from Australia keep pedes that you know of on arachnoboards? I did a search and most aussie related posts come from you recently lol

ShaakTee

Arachnopeon
Does anyone else from Australia keep pedes that you know of on arachnoboards? I did a search and most aussie related posts come from you recently lol
I will be getting my first Tiger this week so excited! I love centipedes.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Tiger rubripes are great! The classic Aussie pede in my opinion. Just be warned - the adults can be pretty troublesome. Here's Azog, my biggest pede, measuring 17cm body-length.

ShaakTee

Arachnopeon
Tiger rubripes are great! The classic Aussie pede in my opinion. Just be warned - the adults can be pretty troublesome. Here's Azog, my biggest pede, measuring 17cm body-length.
I cannot see the image? I have heard they can be a bit troublesome. Found some blue leg pedes for sale, so am looking at getting one of them as well.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
She’s a beaut! What do you use as regular feeders for a pede that size?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I use roaches or large crickets as a staple, with the occasional fruit slice or pre-killed (for ethical reasons) pinky mouse.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's odd to me that every once in a while a monster is found, I think it's genetic. I had a heros that was 9.5 inches(24cm) but normal size around here is around 15-17cm.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
That or diet perhaps?
Also, it may simply be that the bigger individuals are more secretive. I heard from a collector that very large rubripes are normally only found inside logs or after very heavy rain.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
I have never seen a big cingulata in the wild. Max was maybe around 10 to 12cm. Though I have that 18cm female I caught a few years back at regular size.
Is it normal growth for the species, which reaches similar sizes with age when lucky enough to survive, or is it diet-dependant?
I'm not sure. I mainly feed mealworms, a very fat and thus energetic food.
Who knows?

Porkbones

Arachnopeon
Wow she’s gorgeous. I’ve only very recently brought my first couple of pedes (scolopendra laeta) after having tarantulas for a few years, is there someone local (Brisbane) that breeds and sells pedes. I’ve googled but haven’t found anything. 1 guy on gumtree down Robina sells some.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Wow she’s gorgeous. I’ve only very recently brought my first couple of pedes (scolopendra laeta) after having tarantulas for a few years, is there someone local (Brisbane) that breeds and sells pedes. I’ve googled but haven’t found anything. 1 guy on gumtree down Robina sells some.
I don't think anyone in Australia breeds centipedes period, though I plan to (I've done a couple attempts with my blue-legged S. morsitans, albeit without success, most likely due to the male being immature). Your best bet for getting pedes is to join some Australian invert Facebook groups and ask around to see if anyone is selling them.

Porkbones

Arachnopeon
I don't think anyone in Australia breeds centipedes period, though I plan to (I've done a couple attempts with my blue-legged S. morsitans, albeit without success, most likely due to the male being immature). Your best bet for getting pedes is to join some Australian invert Facebook groups and ask around to see if anyone is selling them.
Hey thanks for the reply. I’m probably one of only a few that don’t have FB. I may have to contact the guy from Robina as he is the only one I have seen tht is remotely close to me. He did have an ad at one stage for ethmostigmus rubripes which is what I’m after. Looks like I better contact him and see if he is getting anymore in anytime soon

BB8

Arachnosquire
Also don't listen to Australian Museum. There are instances of this species reaching 25cm in length. Maybe yours may still have some growing to do!
Rest in Peace, my monster has fallen :( not sure why but her back legs started going black and fell off, 2 nights later she had died. I tried to dry the tank out but it looked and smelt perfect as normal. Have you ever had this?

Porkbones

Arachnopeon
Rest in Peace, my monster has fallen :( not sure why but her back legs started going black and fell off, 2 nights later she had died. I tried to dry the tank out but it looked and smelt perfect as normal. Have you ever had this?
I just noticed my Laeta was out curled up in the corner with her head against the tank. Took the lid off and she was slow moving. Then I noticed her antennae had started going black and looked droopy like they are rotting. The others are all set up the same and all are doing fine. I’ve moved her to another container but I don’t think she is going to last