Australian colored Ts

Jamie886

Arachnopeon
Hey guys i live in australia and I was reading a post on here tonight about australia and it's lack of colored Ts someone mentioned a blue T species in Oz now all my research I couldn't find any info about it I've tried Google and the search bar in this forum and still haven't come up with anything.. can anyone she'd some light on this for me?

Thanks jamie

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hey guys i live in australia and I was reading a post on here tonight about australia and it's lack of colored Ts someone mentioned a blue T species in Oz now all my research I couldn't find any info about it I've tried Google and the search bar in this forum and still haven't come up with anything.. can anyone she'd some light on this for me?

Thanks jamie
I think @jigalojey may be able to help here. There is not much info on Australian tarantula here since they aren't much around in the USA/European hobby due to the export bans of Australia.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
"Vibrant" colored Australian T's exist, they're just not in the hobby right now. Judging by your question you seem to want photos. There is some seriously amazing stuff being found in places where people just simply don't exist in right now (Cape york and deep north western Australia)

Attachments

creepa

Arachnoknight
"Vibrant" colored Australian T's exist, they're just not in the hobby right now. Judging by your question you seem to want photos. There is some seriously amazing stuff being found in places where people just simply don't exist in right now (Cape york and deep north western Australia)

What is that hairy looking thingin the last picture...?
That is a realy un Australian looking specimen...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice to see color from those. How hot are the ones in those pics? I know a ton of animals are hot from Australia from mammal to jellyfish haha You guys are king of the powerful toxins.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
"Vibrant" colored Australian T's exist, they're just not in the hobby right now.
I've been hearing this forever. It's time for some pics, or it doesn't exists lol.

There's a couple of species that after a molt, with good lighting, and bright flash of the camera, you can kind of see a tinge of blue if you try real hard lol. Other then that everything I've seen from Australia is 50 shades of brown.

Later, Tom

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I've been hearing this forever. It's time for some pics, or it doesn't exists lol.

There's a couple of species that after a molt, with good lighting, and bright flash of the camera, you can kind of see a tinge of blue if you try real hard lol. Other then that everything I've seen from Australia is 50 shades of brown.

Later, Tom
True, I guess the 7 pics I uploaded don't count as pics.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Nice to see color from those. How hot are the ones in those pics? I know a ton of animals are hot from Australia from mammal to jellyfish haha You guys are king of the powerful toxins.
I assume they're about as hot as the rest of Australian Tarantula species, so quite a nasty bite.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
True, I guess the 7 pics I uploaded don't count as pics.
They all look like brown/black spiders to me lol. Again some have a blue-ish hue, but that's mostly from the lighting. Are you sure that orange colored one isn't O. philippinus ?

Later, Tom

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I kind of wish philth didn't comment on the orange T in your pic because now I feel like I'm parroting Lol.. That T looks alot like O.philippinus.. It would be very interesting if it is in fact the same species found on different continents..

Last edited:

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had a Selenocosmia dichromata (I think it's name is now changed to Orphnaecus dichromatus), and I found it to be a vibrantly coloured Australian species. The bright reddish orange on the carapace really popped in comparison to the black body.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
But they aren't from Australia ;)

Later, Tom
Apparently New Guinea, which is close... When this species was sold to me, I was told it was an Australian species, probably because there are Selenocosmia native to Australia?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Apparently New Guinea, which is close... When this species was sold to me, I was told it was an Australian species, probably because there are Selenocosmia native to Australia?
That or they were tryin to get more $ from ya lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Or there was a mix up between Selenocosmia and Selenotypus, of which the last is native to Australia. I know I mix those up regulargy :D

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
probably because there are Selenocosmia native to Australia?
There are, but they are believed to all be moved back to Phlogius at some point. I can say from my own personal experience they are different from any Selenocosmia found outside of Australia and deserve their own genus.

Later, Tom

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That or they were tryin to get more $ from ya lol
No, I got a decent deal regardless of where the species originates from. I can see why they said it was Australian, and I never thought to assume otherwise, because of the popular Queensland Whistling Spider, Selenocosmia crassipes from Australia. So, seeing as Selenocosmia dichromata was the official scientific name at the time I purchased it, I don't think there was any intentional misleading on anyone's part.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
No, I got a decent deal regardless of where the species originates from. I can see why they said it was Australian, and I never thought to assume otherwise, because of the popular Queensland Whistling Spider, Selenocosmia crassipes from Australia. So, seeing as Selenocosmia dichromata was the official scientific name at the time I purchased it, I don't think there was any intentional misleading on anyone's part.
Was mostly kidding (thats why i said "lol") but it has been known to happen occasionally i think so just a thought :)