Aussie Whistling Spiders

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I want to know how to care for Whistling Spiders including s'lings measuring about an inch such as Selenocosmia crassipes, etc. Can anyone help me?

Steve? :D

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like to know aswell. I saw them on Swifts awhile ago and thought they sounded pretty cool... but couldn't find any info on them, sorry i couldn't help ya out bud.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NP. Swift's is where I oggled them too. No worries, when Aussie Steve Nunn comes online here again I am sure he'll respond. In fact, these spiders really fascinate me and I always enjoy Steve's colorful descriptions, attitude and toxicity.

Tommorrow's payday and I have alittle extra cash. I am deciding between these spiders, Pokie spp, or Pamphobeteus spp. Damn, talk about tough choices.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Provide enough substrate for the spider to burrow (I use peat/vermiculite). I don't worry about humidity, just give the surface a good spray every so often, and then let it dry out. The spider will produce its own (extensive in my case) burrow system.

Seems to work for me :)

The spider's a couple of moults bigger now though and a nice velvety dark colour (it's an S. crassipes from the first import into the UK by the way) :)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, they're very hardy lil beasts...

...but then again they'd have to be like just about everything else shares their distribution in Oz.

Much much appreciated Phil! :D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i think that i seen when adult they are very BIG and NASTY but i have not had them no way any way some will know a lot more then me :? :? -- phil