Augacephalus enzendami , to rehouse or not to rehouse?

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
I got this little guy as less than 1 inch sling and he's been doing well, has a nice burrow dug in the 4x4x4 amac box I have him in and he's grown to about an inch and a half. About 2 weeks ago he dumped his water dish and now refuses to go in his burrow or even touch the substrate, will only hang out on the top or sides of his enclosure. Normally I would just do a rehouse and not think anything of it, but this guys is quick as heck and bolty so I don't want to if I don't have to lol, photo for attention AugacephalusE.jpg

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
You gotta deal with him one day, might as well be now.

There’s always the bathtub method for really fast T’s. Along with a catch cup with poke holes.

I personally home T’s that tend to be very fast in bigger enclosures earlier to avoid the process of frequent rehouses and instead, let them grow into their new enclosures with ease.

LMK what you decide.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
What is that substrate you're using? It looks really chunky.

Are you sure he's not a mature male? From what I've read, This species has really small mature males.... Would explain the climbing activity

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Is that vermiculite?
If the water dish was dumped and soaked everything that could explain it.
Wet vermiculite would be the equivalent of us walking on wet carpet.

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
Yeah, top layer is vermiculite. When I bought him he came in a vial of pure vermiculite so I dumped some in on top when I rehoused him

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, top layer is vermiculite. When I bought him he came in a vial of pure vermiculite so I dumped some in on top when I rehoused him
If you are thinking of rehousing, go for it. Even if it is a little soon, He'll grow into the next enclosure.
Use peat. I like to sometimes add a pinch of vermiculite mixed in but it doesn't take much to be too much.
For burrowing spiders, A little helps retain moisture and let's the substrate absorb water instead of beading off and into burrows but even just a bit too much and it won't pack and hold shape.
Hope this helps.

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
That's what he was sold to me as, and being only a little over a year in the hobby I don't know any different

that does not look like A. ezendami
Would you have an idea what he is, or should I post in the ID forum?