Attention when buying Theraphosa

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sadly, no matter the effort some of us put into labeling the right name with the right spider, seems like some people still either dont care or dont stay tuned to the "news" ...or simply is doing it to make the quick buck.

People is still labeling what is Theraphosa Sp. burgundy (now named stirmi) as Theraphosa blondi.

Request pictures before purchasing. Theraphosa blondi are very very rare stock in the US hobby nowadays, and less than a handfull of people have some of them, even less for sale.

PS: In the last years to my knowledge only Paul Becker and Vitaliy (tarantulahomes) brought true Blondi. This year Ken the bug guy broguth some too.

Last edited:

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Why are they so rare? Are they very difficult to breed? I see WC advertised pretty often and after reading on here I always wonder how legit they are.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The last time that Blondi was bred in the hobby, that I know off , was in 07.

Then only 3 people have imported Blondi slings in October-November 2010 and January 2011.

The 99% of the times you see advertized Theraphosa blondi, it is not.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha yeah but there's such a subtle difference between T. blondi and stirmi. i mean as far as having a giant, brown tarantula goes, either species would work. isn't one of the main differences like the hairs on the tibia or something? unless you want to have a true 'goliath bird eater' i would just as soon buy a stirmi. i don't see why someone would try to deceive someone into thinking they have one species when they actually have another [unless they didn't no how to tell]...they look so similar that, personally, i wouldn't really care which species it was [although i'd like to know but i would prefer one or the other] why does everyone say 'T. blondi' when they know it's a stirmi? what's wrong with Theraphosa stirmi?!?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha yeah but there's such a subtle difference between T. blondi and stirmi. i mean as far as having a giant, brown tarantula goes, either species would work. isn't one of the main differences like the hairs on the tibia or something? unless you want to have a true 'goliath bird eater' i would just as soon buy a stirmi. i don't see why someone would try to deceive someone into thinking they have one species when they actually have another [unless they didn't no how to tell]...they look so similar that, personally, i wouldn't really care which species it was [although i'd like to know but i would prefer one or the other] why does everyone say 'T. blondi' when they know it's a stirmi? what's wrong with Theraphosa stirmi?!?
But my friend, you can take it as far a you want to. Me , personally, I dont care for Avicularias. If I have an Avicularia avicularia or a metallica,is exactly the same for me...Same thing happens with your personal taste on any T.

You might not care, but some other people does. Since T. Blondi is harder to breed, more rare, more expensive and SIMPLY other sp...then Lets call it what it is and lets not confuse or take advantage of people :)

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a ~4" true blondi. When she gets bigger, I'm heavily considering having her bred.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a ~4" true blondi. When she gets bigger, I'm heavily considering having her bred.

dont consider it, research it extensively and do it :) OR loan her to a breeder so it can be done "professionally"

thats my 2 cents :p

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Paul has some real nice female 6-7 blondis true blondies.
I picked a 1.5 sling in oct and now I have a 3 inch molt sexed female and she's growing fast

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

That's her when I got her

And that was her about 4 weeks ago before last molt last week

I'm happy with her. Hope she gets humangus. Shelves to eat
Fran what state u live in

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Because if ur close to ct maybe we can do some breeding with our t's. U know different blood lines

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

I if ur close we can do face to face. I have read ur problems with certain people in ct. I would rather meet someone for something like that anyway

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont consider it, research it extensively and do it :) OR loan her to a breeder so it can be done "professionally"

thats my 2 cents :p
If was going to do it myself, I wouldn't have worded it the way I did :)

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it has a bit to do with the fact collectors want that certain sp. in their collection. Also, a true T.blondi cost more than a T.stirmi, and if someone labels a T.stirmi as T.blondi, they are getting ripped off. Experienced Theraphosa enthusiast may know the difference, but others may not.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While i was checking one of the dealer's list on internet,i saw :

-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, Brazil
-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, French Guyana
-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, Surinam
-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, Guyana

Which one is true Theraphosa blondi ?

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While i was checking one of the dealer's list on internet,i saw :

-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, Brazil
-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, French Guyana
-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, Surinam
-Goliath Bird Eater Theraphosa blondi, Guyana

Which one is true Theraphosa blondi ?
First off, I don't know the answer to your inquiry, although hopefully someone else chimes in with
a more accurate response.
These obviously state where the certain specimens were either collected,
or where they're considered to be from. I'd contact the seller for specifications to be sure.
Also, although I'm not as well versed as Fran and others in this matter, the safest way would probably
be as Fran suggested, to request pictures and possible go on reviews and/or a guarantee that
satisfies you. (When purchasing online)

blay

Arachnopeon
I cant answer your question either, but just for the info:
Brazil, Variant with short hairs, knees without hairs
French Guyana, Variant with long hairs and red knees,
Surinam, largest Variant up to 14 cm bl with long hairs and red knees,

Last edited:

blay

Arachnopeon
from someones stock list...and i am planing to buy some Brazil juveniles 5cm legspan (2months old)...do you thing they can be sexed at this size (they are the cheapest). :)

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cant answer your question either, but just for the info:
Brazil, Variant with short hairs, knees without hairs
Surinam, largest Variant up to 14 cm bl with long hairs and red knees,
Looks fake info to me. I personally know FG and Brazil's and doesn't match with that info....

BTW, really 14 BL?:?

Just trying to help

Pato

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is complicating things even more and not wisely IMO.

Theres nothing out there that backs up that those specific variations exist..So lets just leave it at that, just in case :eek:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
from someones stock list...and i am planing to buy some Brazil juveniles 5cm legspan (2months old)...do you thing they can be sexed at this size (they are the cheapest). :)
Without hairs on there knees they are prob the most common (and cheapest) , Theraphosa stirmi. Why dont they just call them that, instead of confusing things?:?

I guess this was Fran's point of the thread in the first place. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know how/where they got there info that Surinam form (or what ever it really is) is the largest. Im not doubting it, just never heard about it anywhere else.

Later, Tom

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why are they so rare? Are they very difficult to breed? I see WC advertised pretty often and after reading on here I always wonder how legit they are.
In truth, the problem is that the T. stirmi were just recently described as a different species, BUT they have been sold for many years as T. blondi. Now everyone really needs to go through their collection, evaluate each animal.
The differences are there and fairly easy to identify.

It is a problem mostly if you are trying to breed. (Yes there is a price difference but 6 months ago the prices were reversed) To the best of my knowledge they do not inter-breed. So if you get the wrong one you have wasted time and money.