Attention Pokie keepers

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well,their price just went through the roof.Grab them now while you can.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
This wont have any effect of the captive bred hobby stock. If you read the article it states they would never use the hobby stock to repopulate due to genetics being untraceable and muddled not conforming to scientific rules.
I believe they are already illegal to export so its a good thing to see conservation efforts started in earnest.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yea if you can find a way to advertise that you have them for sale without getting busted..

Also What's the point in breeding a species that can get you heavily fined , locked up or both.

This amendment could kill this species in the hobby..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This wont have any effect of the captive bred hobby stock. If you read the article it states they would never use the hobby stock to repopulate due to genetics being untraceable and muddled not conforming to scientific rules.
I believe they are already illegal to export so its a good thing to see conservation efforts started in earnest.
From what I gathered it would make the sales of this species heavily regulated..

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
And as MM,s die off and become scarce,how do you maintain the hobby stock??
Don't underestimate the government,s ability to crush any thing they deem necessary.Ive seen it with
herps and saltwater fish.And how long before you see other T,s put on the list???.
You can dismiss this if you want,but its not good for our hobby.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
And by the way,14pokies,you are really bumming me out.I may have to become a OW keeper sooner than I
was ready for .But this is not good.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I
From what I gathered it would make the sales of this species heavily regulated..
Only similar to CITES species as in no wild caught imports and probably paperwork to prove captive bred when crossing international borders. Probably wont effect the hobby other than only having genetics in a closed loop to keep the hobby forms going. Those that chose to try to smuggle specimens out of Sri Lanka will probably have a much more severe punishment since they may become listed as endangered.

So they're going to make these illegal to own?
The paper states the hobby stock has no interest to them because of muddled closed loop genetics that are not DNA tested. it should only effect smugglers or us in the event we let them die out in the hobby.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They noted the hobby had these species in it already. So I doubt it's going to be illegal to own what we have. We will still have the ability to breed and sale the stock we have.

And as MM,s die off and become scarce,how do you maintain the hobby stock??
As breeders have new sacks we get new males. It's the same as a lot of other species we can no longer import/export. Baring a massive loss to the hobby stock it likely wont affect us.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
The paper states the hobby stock has no interest to them because of muddled closed loop genetics that are not DNA tested. it should only effect smugglers or us in the event we let them die out in the hobby.
Well,i feel so much better now.o_O

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
As breeders have new sacks we get new males. It's the same as a lot of other species we can no longer import/export. Baring a massive loss to the hobby stock it likely wont affect us.
And then what happens when you want to send your MM to another breeder,in another state?Bread your MM to its sac mates?
This will get complicated.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
And that this regulation stuff is a paradox. Meanwhile try to get as much stock as possible. I'm too poor, but I can still advise. They did this with a lot of inverts.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
And then what happens when you want to send your MM to another breeder,in another state?
They will get a nice MM and hopefully breed some Ts. The paper said nothing about hobby trade restrictions or hobby owning limitations. They even mentioned that they didn't care about the hobby stock as it was likely not pure and lineage locality was not cataloged.

Those Ts being on the endangered list just makes the penalty for illegal smuggling WC Ts into our country a lot worse. Like felony - lots of jail - time worse.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I

The paper states the hobby stock has no interest to them because of muddled closed loop genetics that are not DNA tested.
Somehow I missed that part.. I will re-read it again with fresh eyes in the morning :bored:...

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
There are plenty of asian arowana being bred around asia and europe. Even with paperwork i cannot get one because of CITES regulations on endangered species. Would it not be the same for pokies considering they had aros in the hobby prior to their own banning... ?
In all im glad ive just bought a new pokie last week.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
There are plenty of asian arowana being bred around asia and europe. Even with paperwork i cannot get one because of CITES regulations on endangered species.
This is importing. No you wouldn't be able to get one imported. What paperwork did you get? If it's CITES regulated how did you get any kind of paperwork on the species at all?

Regardless, we have all of these species in the US hobby already. Quite a lot of them. As long as we are not attempting to import in new Ts then it shouldn't matter.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
This is importing. No you wouldn't be able to get one imported. What paperwork did you get? If it's CITES regulated how did you get any kind of paperwork on the species at all?

Regardless, we have all of these species in the US hobby already. Quite a lot of them. As long as we are not attempting to import in new Ts then it shouldn't matter.
Many importers will provide certificate of origin to prove a fish is captive bred even more will come equipped with a micro chip. Since these are fish that cost as much or more than a designer dog breed or reptile morph it is the norm. But because the US doesnt posess the agency to undertake this type of specialty import we are just not allowed to have them.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I dont disagree @Trenor its all to do with importation and we should be fine assuming us breeding is continually successful but you cant deny that every non native species we have in this hobby was imported to europe before it was imported here. And with laws like this it can make the future for this hobby uncertain is all im saying.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
but you cant deny that every non native species we have in this hobby was imported to europe before it was imported here.
That's cause it seems to be easier to smuggle to Europe than to the US. A lot of these species were never imported legally to Europe to start with. Then once they started breeding them there. They shipped them here.

And with laws like this it can make the future for this hobby uncertain is all im saying.
It could be. We have other species that are no longer in the hobby due to restrictions and not having enough breeding stock. Though ATM we have a lot of all of these species. I got one of them as a freebie just a few weeks ago.