attempting to re-house my a.avic...

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
she crawled onto my back and then the stickiness of her feet caused me to have to sorta pry her off my t-shirt. i've heard that T's have microscopic hooks on their feet that allow them to grip pretty much any surface. is this true?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
perhaps she coulda been coaxed off your shirt instead of pryed off:?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
by prying, i didn't mean excessively ripping her off me, but i kinda had to use one of my drumsticks on her ventral side and sorta crowbar'd her

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, they do have "hooks" on their feet. If you have ever held any of your T's you would feel them. They feel somewhat like the hooks on the hook half of a velcro strip.
Your little one didn't want to leave the surface she was on (you) most likely because she was startled and scared. She just "froze" in fear, I doubt she had any intention of hurting you.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah i was really gentle with her, but when she's gotta go back into her container, she's gotta go. haha

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They do have hooks.. thats how they climb glass etc

dalejamin

Arachnopeon
Yeah, if you look really close when hey're on the side of the container, you can see them. I always thought the velcro touch was cool. Kinda wish I had that ability myself :razz:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They do have hooks.. thats how they climb glass etc
Are you sure the hooks are for climbing glass?:? I always thought they could climb glass because all all the tiny setules(hairs) on their feet.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
next time she gets on your back and wont come off just take off your shirt..... its easyer.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they have retractable claws like a cat. they use the claws to walk on rough stuff or stuff with enough give to set the claws in.

they also have scopulae, which are pads of superfine setae that effect molecular adhesion with whatever surface the spider is on. even molts retain this property to some effect. these scopulae allow tarantulas to glasswalk. note that typically arboreal tarantulas have larger more pronounced scopulae

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
next time she gets on your back and wont come off just take off your shirt..... its easyer.
i've always debated what the best thing is to do... i'm always afraid of breaking the bug by catching it in a bad lay inside a fold or roll of the shirt.

typically for non-offensive animals i just grab them off of me, or push them to a more accesible area. for more ticky tarantulas i just wait it out. for centipedes i powerstrip, in the field or no =P