ATS 2003 Conference Information

Rhys

Arachnopeon

To register for the ATS 2003 conference in Carlsbad, NM, visit the ATS website home page and follow the registration link:

http://atshq.org

This year's featured guests: Andrew Smith, Rick West, Brent Hendrixson

ANDREW SMITH'S PRESENTATION - ATS 2003 CONVENTION Carlsbad, NM

1) Two 90 minute or two 60 minute slide lectures based on Andrew's new Poecilotheria book, which is in preparation. He wants to develop and explore the full theme of his book, which includes -

* Poecilotheria spiders of Sri Lanka.

* Poecilotheria spiders of India.

2) Andrew will present color slides garnered from four field trips - plus additional slides by Europe's top spider photographer - Monsieur Cleton.

3) The presentation will contain original archive research information, exploring the history of the genus from the 1750s, the personalities of the scientists, the collectors, taxonomy, selective examples of behaviour and adaptation, conservation status and the local folklore and mythology, which was gathered in hundreds of interviews. Andrew will tie all of this to Britains' Imperial past.

Andrew has located, drawn and dissected all of the surviving type material in museums all over the world. Time permitting he will demonstrate and discuss the diagnostic differences between the species - This may be accomplished in a small workshop for those interested in taxonomy.

RICK WEST'S TOPICS INCLUDE:

A slide presentation with narration of unusual tarantulas and their habitats, including Cameroon "spider divination" where tribal sorcerers use live Hysterocrates spp. in their rituals.

For raffle, Rick West is donating his ERMA dissection microscope; complete with carrying case and extra optics from 2x up to 15x.

There will be an amazing array of raffle prizes, including tarantulas of many species, other inverts, complete cage setups, and much more.

Field trips will be ongoing throughout the days and nights. This is your chance to go collecting with the ATS and our celebrated guests.

Dealers, collectors, and enthusiasts from everywhere will take this opportunity to gather in Carlsbad. It's a great experience and lots of fun.

June is coming quickly....register today!

Thanks,

Rhys & everyone on the ATS staff

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you!! I am totally stoked!!=D =D =D :} :} :}

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I'm disappointed in my tax return to say the least, but Shelby and I are going anyway. Can't beat the airfares right now. I'd like to know who's arriving and departing which dates? We have someone to room share with, but we'd rather fly into El Paso, since it's closer, and cheaper for us at the moment.
We could ride share if the dates and times match!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anyone in the Illinois area want a travel partner? :p

Heh, I want to go, but I really don't want to go alone, I'm too shy for that -- I'd never say a word once I got there.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's official. I just reserved a room for the monster and I for the conference. Now I have to go buy wine for Holley.

We're looking forward to seeing as many of you there as possible.

Botar

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm really gonna try to go since I am off for the summer. The drive isn't too bad. From past experience, can anyone give me a budget estimation that I can aim for? Food, hotels, and such. Thanks a million.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, living that close, you've really got no excuse. SHD is coming all the way from Canada.

As for expenses:

Food - Only you will know your eating habits. I'd say it wouldn't be much different from your present location.

Hotel - I can't remember the exact quote I got when I made my reservations, but it was in the $50 - $60 per night range. I believe that is right around the per diem for that area too. I know you can find hotels more expensive and you could probably find something cheaper as well.

Hope to see you there.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
food runs about the same as here in Oregon. They have a restaurant at the hotel, that is cheap, and has surprisingly good food.
There are the usual fast food joints, which most people ate at for lunch on conference days.
On Friday night, there is a BBQ and party with hissing cockroach racing, and prizes! It's hysterical and fun.
I think I'm paying $62 per night for a room with 2 queen beds, with 3 people in it.
I'm going to call the hotel directly though, and see if they will give me a conference discount. Last year, I paid $50 per night.
Lots of people have cars and rental cars, and are happy to give rides to people that don't have a car.
We rented one last year, but this year we don't have to, since Gillian is nice enough to haul us down there!
The most expensive thing is just walking into John Hoke's suite, since you can't go in there and not buy anything ;)

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Quality Inn ...

We booked the hotel !!! :) Now we just have to get there .... lol

Well I called the hotel directly and spoke to the manager. His name is Shawn. He is very nice and helpful.

He told me that the ATS discount is $59.95 per night for either a king size bed or 2 double beds (with 2 adults).

However, the AAA discount is a whopping $58.46 per night. A bit cheaper but, hey, every dollar counts (especially when you need it to buy more bugs). ;P

Just make sure that when you call that you ask for him directly, because apparently he is the only one that can offer this discount. :D

Now we only have to figure out the air and rental car ... LOL! =D

From NY, the cheapest airfare is $323.00 per person round trip. :eek: YIKES!!!

Have not begun to call the rentals yet, that will be my next project. lol .. If anyone got any great deals from ELP airport, please let me know. THANKS! :D

Debby

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yay!!! you guys are coming? that's GREAT!
I got a midsize car last year, and Dollar was the cheapest rate.
I think it was about $25 per day, plus tax, gas, insurance, etc.
Once you add all that up, it's more than double the original rate ...ugh
What dates will you be there? We are going the 11-18 June, figured might as well make a vacation out of it!

Satanika

Staff member
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
yay!!! you guys are coming? that's GREAT!
I got a midsize car last year, and Dollar was the cheapest rate.
I think it was about $25 per day, plus tax, gas, insurance, etc.
Once you add all that up, it's more than double the original rate ...ugh
What dates will you be there? We are going the 11-18 June, figured might as well make a vacation out of it!
Hey Holley,

Looks that way so far ... still have to confirm air and rental. We will hopefully be there June 11-15. Since we are going WITHOUT THE KIDS, we must fly back immediately (remember Sunday is Father's Day), and then we are going to take the kids and drive on down to Orlando, Fl. for a mini Disney/Universal vacation. :D

Hey, maybe we can move the party to Disney .... LOL !! Would be lots of fun! =D

Thanks for the info on the rental ... will make a mental note ...

Debby

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Man, looks like i may go. I have school on the 11, 12, 13, 14, 15! So my dad want me to stay in school! If only they made it later, like june 22 or something! Oh well, have fun guys!

James ;)

Satanika

Staff member
Oh, I almost forgot .....

When you call the manager, please make sure that you mention Arachnopets.com, and that you were referred from here. No kickbacks or anything, but it makes us looks good, which can't hurt .... :D

Thanks! :)

Debby

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, it's official..I'm going. Got booked and everything. Just driving from Texas....no hassell with rentals. I hope I can recognize some of you guys. I'm gonna feel like an ass. lol. I'm taking a friend with me...didn't wanna drive alone. Would have been severely boring. I'll be there from the 12th-15th. Woohoo. And yes, bringing cash....good Lord. Leaving with none. Where are ya'll staying? I wish I would have known about the discout...would have saved me about 30 bucks all in all. I'll be crashing the Quality Inn...hermm...

Satanika

Staff member
You can still call them at the Quality Inn and ask for the Manager, I think .... They should definitely still give you the discount. :)

On another note, does anyone know if El Paso is actually the closest airport to Carlsbad, or is there a closer airport? Just trying to see if we can fly into another airport without a 2 hour drive .... :?

Thanks,

Debby

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure El Paso is unfortunately the closest if you are landing in Texas. I'm not sure about New Mexico. I'll call Quality Inn tonight and see what I can hook up. Is that where ya'll are staying as well, or are you crashing elsewhere?

On another note, is anyone wearing ID tags or anything of the sort in order to be recognized? Can't say I've ever been to anything like this in the past. Been on probabtion too long...lol...one tends to be confound to small areas during these periods of time. hehe.

Satanika

Staff member
Thanks. Yeah, I was wondering if there was anything closer in New Mexico, maybe? Just grasping at straws here ... :)

When you call the hotel, make sure you speak to the manager (Shawn). We are staying at the Quality Inn. Tell him that Arachnopets.com referred you and told you about the discount.

Hmmm.... not sure about the name tag thing, as this will be our first time there. Not a bad idea though ... Maybe we can have Arachnopets name tags with our user names on them ... he he he .... ;)

Debby

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Albuquerque is the closest airport in NM, and it's twice as far as El Paso.
There are name tags in your registration packet to wear.
We may need to put our user names on them as well ;)

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rock on. Yeah, I was thinking about putting my user name on mine. I think we should. And I know some of us have posted pics online and such..but it's always different whenever you see each other in person. If I still had my hair like I do in my Avatar, I'd be easy to spot...but it's all grown out for the most part and normal now. Just check out the "Fun Pics" thread in the Watering Hole. Botar will be easy to find...just look for Incredible Hulk's long lost sibling. I'm searching for you first, Bot...okay? lol

Anyhoo; Debbie, have you found out how far it is to the Convention from the Inn? I need to look for some maps, but I haven't had time. I figure we have a month still..but time does tend to fly when you have 4 jobs. lol. Maybe I can get into touch with you and Scott and whoever else is staying there when we arrive. Is that where you are staying as well, Holly?

Last edited: