Atlanta Reptile and Exotic Animal Show

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does anyone know if any invert dealers will be there? This show is Jan. 27 & 28, about five-six hours from me. I do not normally attend any Georgia shows, since my main interests besides arachnids are native snakes, which are of course, illegal to keep or sell in Georgia. The two Georgia shows I did attend were very poorly attended and had a pathetic selection; if you weren't looking for Bearded Dragons, Burmese or Ball pythons, or baby iguanas, you were pretty much out of luck and your entry fee. I'm about to go stir-crazy down here though, with no reptile shows scheduled at all for the Carolinas until April, and I'd be willing to make the trip and blow a bit of my tax refund if I knew that there would be a good selection of adult T's and scorps.

pitbulllady

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
Typically the invert selection is limited at best at the Georgia shows. There hasn't been a good one in years around here. I still go to them, but rarely buy any animals, just supplies. Not sure why, but the shows here suck bigtime. There's a reptile show in Alabama held monthly, i haven't been before, but have heard good things. The only reason i'm even going to the one in GA this year is b/c i only live about 15 minutes away.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Typically the invert selection is limited at best at the Georgia shows. There hasn't been a good one in years around here. I still go to them, but rarely buy any animals, just supplies. Not sure why, but the shows here suck bigtime. There's a reptile show in Alabama held monthly, i haven't been before, but have heard good things. The only reason i'm even going to the one in GA this year is b/c i only live about 15 minutes away.

The Georgia shows suck big-time because almost everything is ILLEGAL to have or sell in Georgia. If it's native to the state, you can't have it, and most North American Colubrids and "Hots" are found in Georgia. That even includes captive-developed morphs, like Snow Corns and White-Sided Ratsnakes. Insofar as animals that have a ready market, sellars are pretty much limited to Bearded Dragons, Geckoes, Iguanas, pythons and boas and a small handful of other snake and lizard species. I don't even think that you can sell any sort of turtle or tortoise in Georgia, much as is the case with North Carolina. Most of the vendors who usually have inverts also have reptiles, so with them not being able to bring those, there's no point in showing up. I don't think that invert sales alone would make it worth their trouble to show up. I've been to only one reptile and exotic show in Georgia, in Augusta, and there were like, five or six vendors there, and everyone had the same animals-baby Colombian boas, Ball pythons, baby Burms, Bearded Dragon babies, baby Igs, and Leopard Geckoes. Hardly worth the 2 hours it took me to drive there.

pitbulllady

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
I just got back from the show....

It was pretty damn small (as usual), probly 6-10 vendors tops. Typical selection at the Georgia shows:mad: . I did manage to pick up a couple slings and adult T's i was looking for though:) . Are there no Georgian or Southern arachnid lovers out there? Maybe i need to just break down and drive to Florida's next show.....

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey guys! i went to the Reptile and exotics show in Columbia, South Carolina back on Nov. 4th, there's gonna be another one in spartanburg, SC coming up in April. Well, i don't know about Georgia, but at the Reptile/exotics show in Columbia SC there were A lot of vendors, mainly of reptiles. there were albino ball pythons, albino rattlesnakes, dart frogs, MASSIVE tortises, many types of turtles and tortises, along with some color morphs/types of reptiles that cost rediculous amounts of money!! i could pay off my car five times over with that kinda money!! (my car costed about 2500$).
but anyway, there were Some inverts there... just different types -- different selections of scorpion (mostly flat rocks, emperors, deathstalkers, multiple sp. of fattail etc.), there were a few centipedes there (mostly bluering), at one point i saw a MASSIVE container filled with african giant millipedes, and some T's, most of which were Avic avic, b smithi, N. chromatus, G rosea (duh), G. aureostriata, Haplo sp. ??, and some P. cancerides. There were MANY avic avic there, i bought a mating pair for 14$!!!!! there's usually people with like 25 adult avic avic, sellin' them for 7$ each, males and females. The best part about it is this -- most of the people deal PRIMARILY with reptiles and such, and they dont really know that much about inverts, and therefore i saw lots of things mislabled -- and WAY under retail price! like the Adult haplo were only like 8$ because they thought they were "uncommon pinktoes"!!!! like i said, i don't know about georgia, but im definately gonna be at the one in April in SC, because if it's anything like the one i went to back in November, i think it would be worth it.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just got back from the show....

It was pretty damn small (as usual), probly 6-10 vendors tops. Typical selection at the Georgia shows:mad: . I did manage to pick up a couple slings and adult T's i was looking for though:) . Are there no Georgian or Southern arachnid lovers out there? Maybe i need to just break down and drive to Florida's next show.....
There are a small handful of us. ;)

For the record, I live in GA, but just put TN as my location b/c more people are familiar with Chattanooga than the small city I live in.

We have a yahoo group about gatherings - check my sig.

Becca

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey guys! i went to the Reptile and exotics show in Columbia, South Carolina back on Nov. 4th, there's gonna be another one in spartanburg, SC coming up in April. Well, i don't know about Georgia, but at the Reptile/exotics show in Columbia SC there were A lot of vendors, mainly of reptiles. there were albino ball pythons, albino rattlesnakes, dart frogs, MASSIVE tortises, many types of turtles and tortises, along with some color morphs/types of reptiles that cost rediculous amounts of money!! i could pay off my car five times over with that kinda money!! (my car costed about 2500$).
but anyway, there were Some inverts there... just different types -- different selections of scorpion (mostly flat rocks, emperors, deathstalkers, multiple sp. of fattail etc.), there were a few centipedes there (mostly bluering), at one point i saw a MASSIVE container filled with african giant millipedes, and some T's, most of which were Avic avic, b smithi, N. chromatus, G rosea (duh), G. aureostriata, Haplo sp. ??, and some P. cancerides. There were MANY avic avic there, i bought a mating pair for 14$!!!!! there's usually people with like 25 adult avic avic, sellin' them for 7$ each, males and females. The best part about it is this -- most of the people deal PRIMARILY with reptiles and such, and they dont really know that much about inverts, and therefore i saw lots of things mislabled -- and WAY under retail price! like the Adult haplo were only like 8$ because they thought they were "uncommon pinktoes"!!!! like i said, i don't know about georgia, but im definately gonna be at the one in April in SC, because if it's anything like the one i went to back in November, i think it would be worth it.
I've gotten some outrageously good deals on T's at the Carolina reptile shows, mainly because the vendors had no clue what they had. I picked up a blue-phase female A. seemani for eight dollars, and I've gotten adult Avicularia metallicas, in good shape, for twenty-five dollars. The bad thing is, there are no shows in the Carolinas until the middle of APRIL, and I'm like in withdrawal NOW. Early November was a long time ago, or so it seems, and April is even longer. There are just so few shows here in the Carolinas, especially considering that South Carolina has so fews laws regulating herps and inverts, so the shows can really expand. The main issue I've seen with inverts at these shows is, as you pointed out, incorrectly labled spiders. That's not so much of a problem if it's like, an A. metallica labled as a "Common Pink Toe", but when it's a Haplopelma lividum labled as a "Common Pink Toe", THEN it can be a problem!

pitbulllady

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree with that, but it's only a bad thing for beginners (id hate to see a little kid buy that haplo, when they think it's just a little cute pinktoe...). for people like us who know these things, it's a good thing. so i guess it depends on which way you look at it. :)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would love to go to show in April or the Charlotte one in July but unless transportation changes I can't :(