atheris ceratophora

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dude that thing is sick! How toxic is the venom on that one/:clap::worship::worship:

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Atheris venom is relatively low actually there are 3 recorded deaths from this particular species, but normally as with some Crotalids alot of swelling, pain and necrosis and a VERY hefty hospital bill. There are also some cases of renal failures. They are normally considered a non-lethal species, but due to its arboreal nature and its preferred habitat of semi-dense forests it is not often encountered in the wild, thus not alot of bites recorded and insufficient information. Also as far as I know there are no specific Anti-venins for the Atheris genus at this time for the same reason there are no available Anti-venins for American Micrurus species, not enough money in it since bites are rare. Be very careful and soak that little fella atleast every other week also they have a remarkable temper and ability to strike their entire body lenghth when properly anchored to a limb! The Atheris genus is one of my favorite and are definately some of the most interesting looking snakes out there.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are also one of the most difficult hots to keep alive and are famously renowned for dying suddenly for no apparent reason!

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This guy has been in captivity for over a year. They are very interesting to keep because the don't tolerate high temperatures for a long period and people cook them. He sits at 73 degrees and cools to high 60s at night. These guys are semi montain, they live in environments from 700 to 2000m. I only know of one confrimed bite from a ceratophora and symptoms were very mild at best (not to say im going to hold him lol). Thanks for the info but I've got this guys requirements locked down and a mentor close by

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Although there is no antivenin, echis polyvalent has been given to bite victims with some success.