at what size should one stop handling OW arboreals?

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
this is not so much a question of technique, but rather "aggression" and size...
its cute to have my 2" pokies walking around on my hand now, but sooner or later one of them is bound to bite me, so i'm just wondering around what size legspan it would be a good idea to cut it out?

cheers! :D
- munis

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
If you are confident in your skills, and know how to prevent aggravating the spider, then never.

If you feel uncomfortable after they reach a certain size, and cannot ensure the safety of the spider, then stop.
Thats really all I can say.

-Sean

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Same here. For some people, it's never at all, some others pet them like puppies.

My guess would be that between 3-4" and mature, they are at the peak of their aggressivity!!!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, my answer to that would be you shouldn't ever start, so figuring out when to quit wouldn't be a problem. I have a 1 1/2 to 2 inch ornata and I would NEVER even consider trying to handle it. It is the most skittish of my 3 pokies, small and lightening fast.
I guess this is up to you. Stop when you are out of your own personal comfort level.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nope, i never handle any of them,they are happy........i'm happy.:)

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
really i wouldnt hold them at all, cos sooner or later you are going to get taged... :( but hey people do it all the time even i have held my 8" MONSER female Regalis (wasnt ment to happen, long story short, i turned my head for a sec and she walked on my hand) but would not like to be bite, just the cost is more than the pay out is the way i see it.

but up to you... :D

Pete :D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would first start reading the bite reports and think if you want to experiment with how large the spider needs to be to render those effects. Some of the reports seem mild at best, while others seem like hell. I personally don't handle any of my old worlds and only handle my new worlds when transferring them for a photo shoot or they run out of the cups when feeding. Its your call, but I am guessing at the 2" mark they are gonna get too fast and the potential for a bad bite starts going up dramatically.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a 1" 1/2" inch p. striata and in my option thats one of the most skittish ones i have. i let it out on my hand to take some pictures and it ran up and down my arm so fast. I'm not worried about them biting at that size though. once they get to about 2 inches though i don't feel as comfortable holding them though.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have never handled my HMAC. A visitor I had said he got tagged by one and it was extremely painful. I really see no advantage to handling OWs. I have NWs that will tolerate handling and in my case I don't usually react to their stinging hairs.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You should stop handleing when you lose your first finger;P

I have 17 T's and I don't handle them unless needed. However, if you feel comfy, and can tolerate a potential bite, then do what feels right for you.

Its when you start to get nervous that it is best to admire from the other side of the enclosure.

GL-

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't really handle any of my spiders. i'll pick up my A. avic b/c its so cute and calm but other then that i don't feel the need. my pet rats are much better for holding :D