At what size can you properly sex molts from dwarf species?

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Hi! I have a question regarding the sexing of molts from dwarf species.

I have a few species of dwarf tarantulas that I got as teeny tiny 0.3 mm/1/8 inch slings. They've put on a lot of size since then and some are almost at the 2.5 cm/1 inch stage. My question is, when can I start pulling viable sexing molts? I have experience in sexing molts from regular sized T's and when a molt can be confirmed or not, but I have no idea when to do this with my dwarfs and can't find any good info on how big they should be. I do have access to a microscope so I can do very small molts if that's doable.

The species in question are Cyriocosmus elegans, perezmilesi and sellatus, Heterothele gabonensis and villosella, and Kochiana brunnipes.

Thank you and hope you're all having a good start to the winter season! ❄

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You'll need to get a microscope if you want to start sexing them when they're that small, but you can find a good quality pocket microscope on Amazon for about $20-$30. If you get one that does 60X-120X magnification, that should allow you to sex molts as small as 1/2". I used my pocket microscope to sex this Davus sp. Panama and the molt was just barely over an inch.

Without a microscope, you could probably discern spermathecae using a decent magnifying glass when they get to 1.5" or larger, but that will depend on the species and even the individual specimen - some will be easier to see than others. I could see the spermathecae on this H. sp. Colombia (large) when it was 1.25" with the naked eye, but a magnifying glass and the pocket microscope helped confirm what I was seeing.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
You'll need to get a microscope if you want to start sexing them when they're that small, but you can find a good quality pocket microscope on Amazon for about $20-$30. If you get one that does 60X-120X magnification, that should allow you to sex molts as small as 1/2". I used my pocket microscope to sex this Davus sp. Panama and the molt was just barely over an inch.

Without a microscope, you could probably discern spermathecae using a decent magnifying glass when they get to 1.5" or larger, but that will depend on the species and even the individual specimen - some will be easier to see than others. I could see the spermathecae on this H. sp. Colombia (large) when it was 1.25" with the naked eye, but a magnifying glass and the pocket microscope helped confirm what I was seeing.
Thank you so much! I do have access to microscopes as part of my vet med studies so that part's sorted. I guess it's just a matter of me getting get to it then! Thanks again! :D