Assistance required please.

basin79

ArachnoGod
As per title. Help needed please. I've never had an overweight T before. This stunning and somewhat bald Grammostola pulchra is a little lard arse. (See pic. Said pic is a still from a quick video I took of her).

Now with a fat T do you stop feeding altogether or do you just feed a little?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, being you I would put her on a 'Legio Patria Nostra' (French Foreign Legion) Gibuti training diet*, uh :-s

* nothing aside access to water (obviously) and wait for molt.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, being you I would put her on a 'Legio Patria Nostra' (French Foreign Legion) Gibuti training diet*, uh :-s

* nothing aside access to water (obviously) and wait for molt.
Cheers Chris.

Fingers crossed she'll have moulted in 3 years...........

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yep, what @Chris LXXIX said. With the very slow growing species (like this one), I offer a small meal every other month or so. I don't stop feeding entirely, because I've found that this can lead to delayed molts. When I say a very small meal, I mean a medium cricket for a spider that size. A snack, basically.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yep, what @Chris LXXIX said. With the very slow growing species (like this one), I offer a small meal every other month or so. I don't stop feeding entirely, because I've found that this can lead to delayed molts. When I say a very small meal, I mean a medium cricket for a spider that size. A snack, basically.
So offer her a medium cricket once every 8 weeks?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So offer her a medium cricket once every 8 weeks?
Give or take, yeah. You want as small of a meal as possible. For my obese Craigslist acquisitions, they get dime-sized dubias that I've starved for a few weeks. The dubias are mostly water weight from doing this.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Give or take, yeah. You want as small of a meal as possible. For my obese Craigslist acquisitions, they get dime-sized dubias that I've starved for a few weeks. The dubias are mostly water weight from doing this.
I can't/won't starve my livefood. They get treated well. I'll just give her a small meal sparingly until she moults.

Much appreciated. Seems daft but it really is the first time I've run into this problem.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Much appreciated. Seems daft but it really is the first time I've run into this problem.
Nah, not at all. The only reason I even know it's a problem is because one of my girls got a drag injury from being too fat. Question, did you recently purchase this tarantula? She's a beauty, although clearly a kicker.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nah, not at all. The only reason I even know it's a problem is because one of my girls got a drag injury from being too fat. Question, did you recently purchase this tarantula? She's a beauty, although clearly a kicker.
Yes. She arrived this morning. And yes I was told she was a kicker although she was very calm unboxing her and didn't kick once.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I keep feeding my B. smithi even though she's getting chunky. Although I have increased the time in between feedings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As per title. Help needed please. I've never had an overweight T before. This stunning and somewhat bald Grammostola pulchra is a little lard arse. (See pic. Said pic is a still from a quick video I took of her).

Now with a fat T do you stop feeding altogether or do you just feed a little?

I've stopped feeding some of my AFs when that happened, mostly my B. albo she can get pretty plump fast. However, I do agree that feeding regularly even if sporadically is fine too. I can't say it's better or worse with either approach.

Regardless, I CAN guarantee you one thing, do not assume a fat abdomen T will not drink. My B albo drank water even though she didn't eat for 18 months.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've stopped feeding some of my AFs when that happened, mostly my B. albo she can get pretty plump fast. However, I do agree that feeding regularly even if sporadically is fine too. I can't say it's better or worse with either approach.

Regardless, I CAN guarantee you one thing, do not assume a fat abdomen T will not drink. My B albo drank water even though she didn't eat for 18 months.
Thanks.

All my T's always have full water dishes. Always.