Aside from the Mexican Black Kingsnake, are there any all-black snakes?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also, is the MBK a good starter?

I'm not planning on getting this anytime soon.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
There's a BLACK MAMBA, I'd be hesitant on getting one of those they tend to be on the poisonous.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's a BLACK MAMBA, I'd be hesitant on getting one of those they tend to be on the poisonous.
A black mamba isnt really all black at all there kinda greyish black and then theres green mambas.. Only really black part is inside their mouth thats how they get the name black mamba..

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's the black racer, though it does have some white underneath its head.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
A black mamba isnt really all black at all there kinda greyish black and then theres green mambas.. Only really black part is inside their mouth thats how they get the name black mamba..

I learned something new today! Who knew being a smart aleck would pay off.
I actuallylike the look of a MBK, but for some reason thought they turned greyish over time is that true or is it just when they shed?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are a lot of black colubrids, black pines and milks come to mind.

The MBKs stay black as adults, I have pictures of my two adults in our picture thread in this section (Lune & Noche) if you want to check them out. They're great snakes, they're often in bad moods, Mackenzie has been bit by ours several times, and they're escape artists, but they are super hardy snakes...as long as they're in a secure cage and you don't mind getting tagged when they aren't in a very good mood (which is often) then they're great snakes. I have 7 and highly recommend them!

Cass

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
afaik mexican blacks stay black forever but will lighten up a little when they shed.

there are also black milksnakes(awesome) and indigo snakes(super awesome) if you really like black.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Most people told me not to start with a MBK. I'm still planning on getting one eventually but it wont be one of my first 5 snakes lol.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
why not? they're hardy and attractive... a little intense but they're just kingsnakes, not rattlers.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
why not? they're hardy and attractive... a little intense but they're just kingsnakes, not rattlers.
I'm guessing you were talking to me. Why it's not a good starter snake or why it's not high on my list?

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My MBKs are very food aggressive, they will snap at anything if they smell food. When they were babies they would snap at anything, period. Regardless if it smelled like food or not. They calmed down as they've grown older as most colubrids tend to do. I don't handle my snakes often but I've never been bit by an adult MBK. If you want something calmer than an MBK I'd go with the Black Milksnake. They grow much larger and are a little more mild mannered than the black kings, plus they don't need as much heat and like it a little cooler. The black milks also start off looking like a normal tricolor milk and become all black which is kind of neat.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry, wondering why someone wouldn't recommend them as a good starter.

they're not much different from a cal king IMO personality wise;)

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would disagree with that as well I think they're great beginner snakes. I often recommend them over other beginner snakes like corns which I find boring (except for a few like the rosy rats from FL, nice abbott or love line okeettees, or Miami corns, basically locality morphs).

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
sorry, wondering why someone wouldn't recommend them as a good starter.

they're not much different from a cal king IMO personality wise;)
Ah gotcha. Well I was told that since they do have a tendency of being cranky it might dissuade me from staying in the hobby if I started off with a "mean" snake.

Like I said though, I'd get one now that "I know better" but there's other snakes I want more at the moment lol.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
good idea, start with a woma or an indigo:} maybe a black headed python:D

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No MBK for me.
I'm looking for a relatively cuddly snake.:D

Black rat might do, or maybe some other kind of king.

I'll settle for mostly black I think. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

Must be:
-relatively hardy
-handleable in temperment
-preferably not picky for food, as I'll be doing F/T rats/mice.
-Not gigantic

Really, something like a Snow morph corn snake, except black is what I'm looking for. That might even exist lol.

Last edited:

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
black rats are almost entirely black. At least the ones native to here in MD

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
black rats are almost entirely black. At least the ones native to here in MD
It's definently on my list of "look into" snakes.
I won't be having one until I have a house though, which won't be for quite awhile!