"asian" tarantula

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this at a local store for ten bucks and all it was marked was "asian" t, can anyone help me in finding out what it is? It makes its own little cave and sits upside down in it always, very rarely see it out, very little hair on it at all, help.......:?

Attachments

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What a bizarre looking tarantula.

Fat too - but I don't recognise that spotted abdomen at all :?

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow! What a cool looking tarantula!

That thing is fantastic! It looks more African than Asian though!
Do they have any more? If so, I'd love to get one or more.
Please let me know.
Good luck finding out the species.
Ralph

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
rknralf I agree that it looks like a African and not a Asian tarantula. I think it looks like a Pterinochilus species "Dodma Baboon". I had one but it died shortly after I go it.

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It looks to me like it might be one of the new trap door spiders that have been comming in this year. I have'nt seen any pics of them.So I might be wrong.
Let me know if it maks a trap door
Bryan

Last edited:

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my eyes I doesn't actually look like a t either. I would also make a guess in the direction of trap doors. Could be the picture but it isn't similar to any t...

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
my guess would be a dodma baboon but jwb121377 beat me to it

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by bodc21
my guess would be a dodma baboon but jwb121377 beat me to it
I don't think It's a sniny grey like in that pic.Because i hav one
and it does'nt have the spots on the abdomon.
But the care would be the same

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Cronoss
I don't think Iy's a sniny grey like in that pic.Because i hav one
and it does'nt have the spots on the abdomon.
But the care would be the same
The more I look at I think your right. The Pterinochilus species "Dodma Baboon" seem to be a lot lighter in color too. I thought trap doors didn't have any "hair" on the legs, and in the pic it looks as though that spider has "hair" on the legs.:?

Last edited:

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could be a barychelid, they are pretty closely related to tarantulas (theraphosids). I've not seen any that are completely covered in setae like Ts but they can be pretty hairy. What do the spineretts look like? If they are long, like a Ts, then you probably have some form of weird T but if they are very short and blunted it could well be a barychelid. Can it climb the sides of its tank? Barychelids share that ability with Ts. The raised 'triangle' around the eyes really makes me think it isn't a T, though.

Adrian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by belewfripp
The raised 'triangle' around the eyes really makes me think it isn't a T, though.

Adrian
What that is, I have no clue.. but I have seen that triangular protrusion on a few species of T. The one that comes to mind is Aphonopelma bicoloratum (Which that is absolutely NOT)

Bill

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Curious, since I didn't remember seeing that kind of raised area on A. bicoloratum, I went and looked at a few pictures. I can sort of see what you're talking about, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as prominent as what you see in standard trapdoor spiders or in some barychelids. The spider in this thread seems to have a very prominent raised area there while the photos I looked at of bicoloratum appeared to have a only a small elevation in that region. Its hard to make these kinds of judgements just with eyes and pictures though.

Adrian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hm...

Could also be a non-theraphosid, like the Barychelidae that have been coming out of Tanzania recently The shiny abdomen makes me wonder, as do the silky silvery legs (similar to the 'Silky Grey Tunneling spider').

bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bill and Adrian are most likely correct. It isn't a theraphosid. It is most likely of African origin as well. Probably Barychelid.

Here's a couple links to some previous threads about the same spider...

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2506&highlight=barychelid

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3126&highlight=barychelid

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6252&highlight=barychelid

Hope this helps. BTW, it is an excellent spider to keep. Mine is a voracious eater and full of attitude. Congrats on the new addition! :)

Atrax

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Hm...

It's not a tarantula as such (family: Theraphosidae), but a cute little mygale and most likely, from the location you got. Care for other mygales is different to most T's though, you'll want to put her in dirt of some sort, at least 5" of it (nothing too acidic), or she won't live for too long. Provide harmless leaf litter too, she may use it to build in her burrow. You will hardly ever see her, except at night when she'll poke out the first four legs, waiting for some insect to rock on by. She may be a barychelid, does she have claw tufts and a scopula pad? Best way to check is to see if she can climb glass at all. If not, then she isn't a barychelid.

Given the difficulty in mygale taxonomy, you may have to resign the identification to "trapdoor/mygale", UNLESS, you can get extremely accurate locality data. If you would really like to know, you'd have to contact a mygale taxonomist (and there aren't many) and forward at least an exuvium to them, maybe the entire specimen.

Cheers,
Steve

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Atrax,

What kind of retreat has yours constructed? Mine is only about 2 inches in legspan and after only a couple of days in his tank he/she constructed a trapdoor burrow. Looking at the tank right now it looks like a tank full of dirt with a water dish, the only reason I can see the door is because I've seen him/her open it and know where it is. Watching him/her pop open that door and nail a cricket out of nowhere is really cool to see.

Adrian

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi.
The funny thing is, mine hasn't dug at all. I've had it for a few months now too. It seems to just prefer to wander it's enclosure and spend it's time in the open. It doesn't exhibit any stressed behavior and eats readily. I chatted with someone else who acquired the same spider which also dug a burrow. How is yours set up and what kind of substrate are you using?
I am waiting for a molt to send an exuvium for help with an id. Hopefully before too long.

Atrax

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, from all the info I have gotten from all of you, Im re-doing a little casa for her, have her in 6" of soil packed kind of hard around an asprin bottle, sans bottle of course, but I did notice that atrax's spider wasnt set up as a trapdoor, am I doing the right thing?