asian forest scorpion

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could someone please tell me what the scientific name for these guys are, I dont have a pic but I saw them at a reptile show I was at over the weekend. They looked pretty neat, black and about the size of an emp maybe a little smaller, but the claws were a good amount longer then the emps although not quite as thick.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some sort of Heterometrus spp.

Heterometrus spinifer is a large, black scorpion native to Thailand and Malaysia. It is known in the pet trade as the Giant Forest Scorpion or the Asian Forest Scorpion.

Heterometrus longimanus? longer claws

go to Scorpion Fauna and you'll see some Heterometrus spp pics.

Dr. John

Arachnopeon
The "Asian forest scorpions" most frequently shown and sold at exibitions and "shows" are Heterometrus spinifer and H. laoticus . They are collected and exported from south-eastern Asia by the thousands , as I have seen at the "shop" of an exporter in Bangkok .

Dr. John

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are the keeping requirements different between H spinifer and H laoticus? I may pick up some if they have them next time I go. Can anyone tell me about them or show me to where I can find info about them? And when I saw them at the show there were about 10-15 housed together, I'm taking it that this means they are communal however I would like to make sure before going and buying more than one, know what I mean? anyways thanks for all the help.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are the keeping requirements different between H spinifer and H laoticus? I may pick up some if they have them next time I go. Can anyone tell me about them or show me to where I can find info about them? And when I saw them at the show there were about 10-15 housed together, I'm taking it that this means they are communal however I would like to make sure before going and buying more than one, know what I mean? anyways thanks for all the help.
Keep the very same as Emperor scorpions. Keep humid with temps 80-90F