Asian Forest Scorpion Setup

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
AFS.jpg AFS1.jpg This is how I keep mine. Slightly damp, my Animal Room stays between 70 - 75 degrees F.. during summer months my heat is off so it stays at room temp. I mist once a week. For substrate I use a mixture of coco fiber with sphagnum moss, beingthis is an Exo Terra, I had mold issues from the substrate and have since replaced the substrate with a mixture of plain potting soil with no chemicals or additives and sphagnum moss and have not had any more mold issues. The other 2 of this species are kept in Kritter keepers with the same set up and have all thrived.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
View attachment 237370 View attachment 237371 This is how I keep mine. Slightly damp, my Animal Room stays between 70 - 75 degrees F.. during summer months my heat is off so it stays at room temp. I mist once a week. For substrate I use a mixture of coco fiber with sphagnum moss, beingthis is an Exo Terra, I had mold issues from the substrate and have since replaced the substrate with a mixture of plain potting soil with no chemicals or additives and sphagnum moss and have not had any more mold issues. The other 2 of this species are kept in Kritter keepers with the same set up and have all thrived.
should be way deeper than that. my h petersii uses all 8" of hers.
OP, give them a moist cage with lots of sub for burrowing.

Jesse James

Arachnosquire
View attachment 237370 View attachment 237371 This is how I keep mine. Slightly damp, my Animal Room stays between 70 - 75 degrees F.. during summer months my heat is off so it stays at room temp. I mist once a week. For substrate I use a mixture of coco fiber with sphagnum moss, beingthis is an Exo Terra, I had mold issues from the substrate and have since replaced the substrate with a mixture of plain potting soil with no chemicals or additives and sphagnum moss and have not had any more mold issues. The other 2 of this species are kept in Kritter keepers with the same set up and have all thrived.
They like it wet, wow. I always thought of scorpions as dry, hot, desert setups. Thanks for the info.

Hiking Mike

Arachnopeon
They like it wet, wow. I always thought of scorpions as dry, hot, desert setups. Thanks for the info.
A lot are, like my hadurus pallidus, the rest are tropical. If you wanted a good starter desert scorp, I would recommend the desert hairy like mine Snapchat-633378616.jpg

Jesse James

Arachnosquire
probably skittishness and even more defensiveness.
I made a 8" deep cave with 4" deep cocofiber substrate mixed with sphagnum moss, for a 1" AFS in a ten gallon that's only 7" high. The cave is held up by cork bark. I'm wondering if I can build upon this? DSCF6503.JPG

Last edited:

Jesse James

Arachnosquire
that'll work. just keep it moist and add a water dish.
water dish is 100% necessary? or can they absorb there moisture from the substrate? I keep my Ts and pedes with no water dish I just keep the substrate wet, and it seems to do the trick. Let me know.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
water dish is 100% necessary? or can they absorb there moisture from the substrate? I keep my Ts and pedes with no water dish I just keep the substrate wet, and it seems to do the trick. Let me know.
water dish should always be provided. im pretty sure they cant absorb water from their environment, i think thats actually impossible. your pedes and tarantulas are fine because they are getting water from the prey. its a very simple failsafe way to ensure your animal has water when it needs it.
i highly recommend you provide all your animals with a water dish.

Jesse James

Arachnosquire
water dish should always be provided. im pretty sure they cant absorb water from their environment, i think thats actually impossible. your pedes and tarantulas are fine because they are getting water from the prey. its a very simple failsafe way to ensure your animal has water when it needs it.
i highly recommend you provide all your animals with a water dish.
I read a couple sources that say centipedes can absorb water. I would assume the same for the Ts since I've been doing this for years with no water bowls. But to be safe I might try a water bowl with the scorpion and see how it reacts, whether or not it uses the open water source.

Captandan

Arachnopeon
I read a couple sources that say centipedes can absorb water. I would assume the same for the Ts since I've been doing this for years with no water bowls. But to be safe I might try a water bowl with the scorpion and see how it reacts, whether or not it uses the open water source.
They definitely drink water. About 80% humidity and about 75 degrees.