Asian forest scorpion isnt eating

Amir1234

Arachnopeon
I have just bought a year and a half old Asian forest scorpion and its been a week and hasn't eaten yet. I have made sure temperature and humidity is always right. Could someone please tell me if by the looks of it it is hungry. I offer it a meal worm every other day and it refuses to eat every time. Just getting a bit worried. Thanks everyone

Attachments

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
A week is nothing to worry about... it needs to settle into it's new enclosure and that takes time

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Gonna be totally honest with you...that enclosure looks terrible. Way to little sub - what event is that substrate!?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Mine's about that age, sometimes goes weeks or months without eating. Just try once a week or so. Don't stress about it

Amir1234

Arachnopeon
Gonna be totally honest with you...that enclosure looks terrible. Way to little sub - what event is that substrate!?
It is a exo terra tropical forest substrate mixed with potting soil with moss on the top. It is around 4 inches deep on the right hand side and 2 to 3 inches deep on the left. Do you recommend that I make it a bit deeper?

Amir1234

Arachnopeon
Mine's about that age, sometimes goes weeks or months without eating. Just try once a week or so. Don't stress about it
Ah thanks that is reassuring I'm gonna leave it be for a few days until I try to feed it again to not stress it out.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
It is a exo terra tropical forest substrate mixed with potting soil with moss on the top. It is around 4 inches deep on the right hand side and 2 to 3 inches deep on the left. Do you recommend that I make it a bit deeper?
Maybe remove some of the top Moss. That soil is gonna mold. It looked like it was all Moss. Yeah add some more substrate. Maybe partially submerge one of the hides. Add some fake plants for cover too, and add a water dish it can walk in. They like to go in big water dishes.

Amir1234

Arachnopeon
Maybe remove some of the top Moss. That soil is gonna mold. It looked like it was all Moss. Yeah add some more substrate. Maybe partially submerge one of the hides. Add some fake plants for cover too, and add a water dish it can walk in. They like to go in big water dishes.
Thanks I'll work on doing those things. Another question how often should I clean the enclosure as many websites give different answers. Thanks again for the advice

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Thanks I'll work on doing those things. Another question how often should I clean the enclosure as many websites give different answers. Thanks again for the advice
Just remove partially uneaten prey and mold spots. Don’t do a full clean out as it is very stressful to the scorp.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
not much to clean, just carcasses of past prey. I use real plants like succulents, they make substrate more stable and holds burrows better.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Don't worry about the feeding they can pig out and go months without feedings again because these are largely sedentary creatures with low metabolisms.

However the real issue is this species suffers from a high transpiration rate. Moist not wet substrate and a large waterdish is essential.

Give a AFS a deep moist substrate (4"-6") and access to a large waterdish and they basically become bullet proof pets.

It saddens me to see some purchase these creatures from a large pet retailer and come on the forums and ask what is wrong with their new pets? Is it dead? And their enclosure is bone dry and/or filled with bark chips and scorpion's legs are in a death curl.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Scorp is fine, as stated above

You don't need to try to feed it every other day. Go for every week or so, don't fret if it still doesn't eat all the time. Once they plump up they can go off food for awhile. Feed it more the skinner it is and taper food down as it fattens up.