Asian black forest scorpion

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
They only glow under black light, they don't glow under normal light conditions. It doesn't look like its due for a molt and it could do with a bit more substrate - about 4-5 inches. Give it a hide where it can burrow under.

Dennisandwendy

Arachnopeon
They only glow under black light, they don't glow under normal light conditions. It doesn't look like its due for a molt and it could do with a bit more substrate - about 4-5 inches. Give it a hide where it can burrow under.
I am going fix better home for it I've put a fishtank black light on it but it may not be same tommorow I'm going to make a better hide and all for I I've learned a bit today but got a ways to go thank you any other advice is appreciate

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
if you install a black light on the tank, don't keep it on all the time, just a few minutes (if you want to view the scorpion under it). They dislike black light on them and it can hurt them.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
you're welcome! Here is a link for the basic care of emperors. Asian forest scorpions have similar requirements:

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
As @Dr SkyTower said: Needs more substrate !
Having a thermometer + hygrometer in the enclosure is also recommended, it guides you towards 'doing a good job'.
Heterometrus species like to bathe, put a bath in that fits the entire scorpion.
Having the black-light (UV-a) on for longer periods won't really harm the scorpion, but most of them don't like it and will choose to stay in their hide.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Errm, first you determine the exact species, then you sex it.
You bought it as 'Asian Black Forest scorpion' ?
It looks like Heterometrus petersii in your picture, but need better/clearer pictures to determine that.
If indeed it is a petersii, we can't sex it by looking at the pectinal area, in that case we need to take a good look at the chela.
I think you should first get experience of keeping this one alive and healthy, get to know about diseases and unwanted situations etc.
Maybe after that start breeding.
Please determine species first to prevent cross breeding. Do it properly.
Oh and uhhh... breeding Heterometrus sp don't bring you much money, breeders do it as a hobby.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Ah yes, i see, it's a Asian
Determining is done by identifying via anatomy, every species has it's own anatomical properties that go together with a latin name.
A common name like 'Asian black forest' covers many different species.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Sorry man, can't tell by that picture alone.
To guide you towards determining the species of your scorpion you could read this thread;
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/h...onounced-internal-tubercle-on-patella.327341/
You might also want to glance over this;
http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2004_15.pdf
When you read about the slightest differences (some are only visual using a microscope) you will understand that a vague picture won't get us anywhere.
The only thing I'm able to tell you from your picture is that your scorpion belongs to the Heterometrus genus, and you will need to further determine the exact species,
for instance Heterometrus Longimanus, Heterometrus cyaneus, Heterometrus spinifer etc etc etc.
Good luck, welcome to the hobby ! ;)