Asexual Reproduction

D C

Arachnopeon
If anyone knows...

Is asexual reproduction in scorpions random/spontaneous or can it be encouraged in some way? Is there a difference between scorplings born from asexual reproduction or ones born from mating between a male and female scorpion.

I'm going to assume the scorpion has to go though its final molt before it can reproduce?

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Theres nothing you can do to alter its reproductive system it's either parthenogenic or it's not right now.

I'm not sure that specimens that produce a sexually and once that mate are proven to be any different really.. usually parthenogenic scorpions produce much smaller broods then once that mate and produce normaly

And yes it must reach maturity

D C

Arachnopeon
Interesting, thanks for the info.

it's either parthenogenic or it's not right now.
What do you mean by "not right now"? It can change from being asexual to not from one moment to the next?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
You asked if the process.of parthenogenic can be encourage. Answer is no. They're either a parthenogenic species or they are not

D C

Arachnopeon
You asked if the process.of parthenogenic can be encourage. Answer is no. They're either a parthenogenic species or they are not
Ah ok, misunderstood. On to do some research, very interesting.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd like to add to this conversation by asking if you would get both Male and female from a partho birth or would they all be females and copies of the mother?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I'd like to add to this conversation by asking if you would get both Male and female from a partho birth or would they all be females and copies of the mother?
From my understanding the species currently in the hobby that are proven parthenogenic contain 99% females and males are supposedly EXTREMELY rare . Not sure if wild populations have any males around but most CB stuff is just cloned

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From my understanding the species currently in the hobby that are proven parthenogenic contain 99% females and males are supposedly EXTREMELY rare . Not sure if wild populations have any males around but most CB stuff is just cloned
That was my understanding as well. I know when ball pythons(very rarely) have a partho clutch they're clones of the mom. I figured it was the same with scorpions but I wasn't 100% sure.