Asbolus verrucosus Mating?

Antonovich

Arachnopeon
ok so I've read several threads on breeding blue death feigning beetles and have a simple question. If I've seen the beetles mating is that a sign that I'll have eggs soon or do they mate for fun? thanks

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I would assume that if you see breeding activity, then you can expect some eggs. Don't think beetles do it for funsies ;)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I would assume that if you see breeding activity, then you can expect some eggs. Don't think beetles do it for funsies ;)
Actually, male darkling beetles will often mate with each other and with larger individuals of other species too, so mating by itself is not necessarily an indicator of actual reproduction, you could have two males and still see mounting action... :p

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Actually, male darkling beetles will often mate with each other and with larger individuals of other species too, so mating by itself is not necessarily an indicator of actual reproduction, you could have two males and still see mounting action... :p
Hmmm, do you know why? That seems strange, is it that they don't recognize the other gender?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Hmmm, do you know why? That seems strange, is it that they don't recognize the other gender?
I don't know why, I just know that it is well documented behavior, and I've seen it in almost every darkling beetle species I've kept. :) Males just seem to pounce on anything that moves.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I don't know why, I just know that it is well documented behavior, and I've seen it in almost every darkling beetle species I've kept. :) Males just seem to pounce on anything that moves.
Interesting. Well, to the OP, you may have some experimental beetles ;) Hopefully they will eventually find their way to a female if they are mating with one another.

joybug10

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if males mate once and then die?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I was wondering if males mate once and then die?
Nope male beetles will go as many times as they can. I've heard of some males refusing to stop until they starve to death and the stress killed the female too, but I don't know how much of a common occurrence that is.

Kennef

Arachnopeon
ok so I've read several threads on breeding blue death feigning beetles and have a simple question. If I've seen the beetles mating is that a sign that I'll have eggs soon or do they mate for fun? thanks
I have no idea if this has been done but.. Have you guys tried putting oat and bran under the sand? To hydrate them you can burry the vegetables under the sand near the oats? They are in the same family as darkling beetles and their larvae are buried in oats.

coniontises

Arachnosquire
Unlike Tenebrio, Asbolus larvae cannot survive exclusively on grain and occasional vegetables. There was a successful breeding attempt somewhere on the forum though