As the web turns

Katiedid73

Arachnopeon
So are the days of arachnids lives....cue music!

Hola everyone!

I am a new T mommy but not new to tarantulas or exotic animals for that matter. Short of the long I grew up helping take of other peoples exotics. Mostly reptiles and birds. I did an educational course in observation at The Bronx zoo in my younger years and also helped milk snakes for anti venom treatment. I lived overseas and had quite the scare running into a Sydney funnel web and there began my fascination with arachnids. So needless to say its been an adventure but I never really had a desire to own an exotic pet until now.

I have had friends that had one or two but they always picked them up and I was not interested in that. I was more intrigued with the idea of creating a habitat true to them where I could enjoy them through observation. I spent the last year really researching different species, their behaviors, their characteristics and the like. I became even more fascinated until I found myself at a reptile expo. After much research I decided to purchase a Holothele longpipes and a Chromatapelma cyaneopubescens. I have to tell you I'm having way too much fun with these little Ts. Now my Trinidad pink is but a tiny sling still and likes to hide. I take a pinhead cricket crush its head and leave it where he pops out overnight and steals the goods and retreats into his hide. My GBB I had to rehouse which I did in the bathtub with a cover over the drain just to be safe. It has not eaten in a few days since being in the enclosure but I set it off to a quiet room to destress and good news is it is beginning to move around.

I have to admit, I've become deeply addicted to just observing how they function. I know I'm a complete science geek but they are really fascinating creatures. I'm going take care of these little whipper snappers and perhaps after some experience I may consider getting a few more. I just feel that no matter how much you know that actually having hands on experience is the best experience or in my case hands off because I am not interested in holding them...thats why I have a dog! Not sure what I will get if I get more in the future but I do like the colorful ones for sure but it would be at least another 6 months or better that I would even consider adding one as I want to take my time. So if you have any suggestions on a 3rd T down the road feel free to do so!

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Neoholothele incei for sure. Small, fast, fiesty, great eaters, amazing architechs, and require planning before rehousing! :)

I have the olive and gold forms, and I like the olive form better.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Glad to hear you're having a nice intro to the hobby. If you're wanting another coloruful T I will always suggest any Brachypelma. Certain genera beat them colour-wise but the oranges and reds found on many of them are unbeatable imo.

Katiedid73

Arachnopeon
I'm already up to ten thus far and they are all doing fabulous! Actually rehoused my friend's Poeci and it didn't scare me at all. Much different than snakes of course but same concept as far as being careful and planning.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
2 weeks ago:
"Well we just met, we're happily dating and I think we'll just take this one slow."

Now:
"Well we just got married, twins in the oven. Sometimes you just gotta jump!"

Also, I think since the collection is just growing fantastically, dive on into an M. Balfouri communal.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
You’re practically running an assembly line for feeding/maintenance now...welcome to the club.

I have 26 and last nite I got down to the last three and was like you know what, you three are having air tonight. Didn't even feel guilty either. Sucks for them, feed in alphabetical order...sucks the Y Diversipes had to be last, but had their name not changed they could have been closer to the front of the meal line.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
My wife and I married after 2 weeks, still happily married. I never said it was a bad thing lol. You just asked for suggestions, I merely made one! :)

Katiedid73

Arachnopeon
You’re practically running an assembly line for feeding/maintenance now...welcome to the club.

I have 26 and last nite I got down to the last three and was like you know what, you three are having air tonight. Didn't even feel guilty either. Sucks for them, feed in alphabetical order...sucks the Y Diversipes had to be last, but had their name not changed they could have been closer to the front of the meal line.

I don't view it as an assembly line. Sorry you feel that way but I don't. I have plenty of time as well to dedicate.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
If craig is passionate about having T's, I don't know why you'd feel sorry for him. All he's sayin is more t's = more time, but kudos to you for having more time.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
What do you have in your collection? I started off with arboreals (avicularia/ex-Avicularia) and have expanded to dwarf species and a couple other terrestrials. One of my top favorites is my T Albo, it was a freebie and one I was aware of but never considered.