As Napolean Dynamite would say.. Liger!

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haha, I agree. I wonder how they got the lion and tiger to breed. I think they probably did it in the lab right?
No it was a mistake. They left a female lion and a male tiger in the same enclosure. The female became pregnant and gave birth to a tigon, first breeding is really unknown, but Queen Victoria, of england, was given a tigon as a pet, cir 1873.

Then a male lion was placed with a female tiger together and produce a liger, this can be seen is India art, cir 1772.

They do accept each other as natural mates. And would naturally breed in the wild. Domestication helps in the process.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No it was a mistake. They left a female lion and a male tiger in the same enclosure. The female became pregnant and gave birth to a tigon, first breeding is really unknown, but Queen Victoria, of england, was given a tigon as a pet, cir 1873.

Then a male lion was placed with a female tiger together and produce a liger, this can be seen is India art, cir 1772.

They do accept each other as natural mates. And would naturally breed in the wild. Domestication helps in the process.
Wow, I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the info.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have heard there are two sides two those guys...some have gigantism disorders and have joint issues and die young...but they are also extremely cool!

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That all depends on the parents and the way the genetics work. If I recall this correctly with lions the males pass on a trait to the cub that kickstarts the growth process in order to make sure that the biggest and best lions get born. This in turn is countered by the lioness that pass on a trait that supresses growth so that they don't have to birth huge cubs. I think this comes from the fact that lions live in prides and the biggest examples have a greater chance of breeding and passing on their genes. Tigers are more solitary and have no need for these traits.

In other words, a female tiger has no way of inhibiting the growth of a cub sired by a lion and a lioness will inhibit the growth of a cub sired by a tiger leading to a smaller hybrid.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! I don't usually look at all the threads because I have dialup, esp when there is vid, but I'm at a place with cable right now. That thing is HUGE. Thanks for posting it. Seems like I would have heard of one of those by now.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! I don't usually look at all the threads because I have dialup, esp when there is vid, but I'm at a place with cable right now. That thing is HUGE. Thanks for posting it. Seems like I would have heard of one of those by now.
No problem. I know tell me about it, look at the size of it's head compared to the man.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Liger Town

The reason Ligers were featured in Napoleon Dynamite was because Liger Town existed very near where the movie took place in Southern Idaho. Unfortunately, Liger Town was one of those nasty compounds that ultimately was shut down due to several of the Ligers escaping. Many of the remaining animals were found to be in poor condition, and I think most were ultimately destroyed. There's your Idaho trivia for the day.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i love big cats and that one is big. hate to meet that on a trail. never heard of a liger before.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ohhh... so cute... how about a liger hug?

how about a lark... male lion to a female shark... both terrestrial and aquatic... but the name is.... a flyer?

:D