[Article] Rudloff & Weinmann - Theraphosa stirmi new species!

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pato: I'm curious, why would sequence data be interesting, as opposed to all other intrinsic characters? By "integral [integrated?] kind of taxonomy," I assume you mean conforming to the requirement of total evidence. Yes?
Kirk,

I think the other instrinsic characters are important as well, but I see the other aspects can be complementary (not opossed to). Yes, I mean total evidence as a more integrated description. I find it a lot more interesting than just legs meassurement. As I said before, you can exclude molecular data, as I know it's still rare within Theraphosids. But the other aspects should't. Authors such as Bertani are shyly starting to include some of these aspects in their latests descriptions.

Cheers,
Pato

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks man :)

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I think what Zoltan means is how can you replace something that never existed ;)

Later, Tom
True :)

Now I'm gonna be busy renaming this species in all my youtube vid's on the species. Here I go ;)

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

It's in your mailbox Jon.
Thanks a lot ;)

mirro1958

Arachnopeon
Any info on this journal and the article??

I searched the journal "Arthropoda scientia" on ISI Web of Knowledge and didn't find it in the database. Is this a peer-reviewed journal? What evidence is produced in favour of splitting one species into two, rather than calling morphological variation merely "morphotypes" in this case?

Of the authors D. Weinmann co-authored 3 more papers relating to tarantulas, as of September 2011.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There has only been two groups lately that have done anything molecular with theraphosids including myself. Brachypelma was briefly touched by Petersens et al. 2007 and some group sequenced the mitochondrial genome of an Ornithochinous species. Both on GenBank.

I'm currently working with Poecilotheria (unpublished as of now),
BTW, there is also a German guy working with the DNA of Poecilotheria - are you in touch with him?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wouldnt call different spermathecaes for morphological variation =) I have the description but im at work now.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The link provided above by Draychen was the first mentioning of it I've seen also.
It surprised me though, for I was told it was actually the same spider as described by Ausserer as "Lasiodora spinipes".
And aren't the common rules of naming species that the oldest one always stays the valid one, so that by moving to another genus, the speciesname should have been kept the same ?

But probably L.spinipes is not the smae spider as this new Theraphosa species :)
Would someone please send me a copy of this paper? Thanks in advance!!

dlaw2001@comcast.net

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To my knowledge, this is not a peer-reviewed journal.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The name spinipes was never a name for T. stirmi, it was just a rumour.

theraphosa1983

Arachnopeon
Need more information

Is there any way someone could copy me as well on this T. Stirmi info that's going around? I just picked one up yesterday and I am having trouble finding all of the information I am looking for by doing just a standard online search of the name.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could be why some weren't getting T.blondi sacs. Maybe some paired off Arthropoda males with T.blondi females and vice versa.