Arizona Scolopendromorphae

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
[thread=52590]STATE CENTIPEDE INDEX[/thread]

This thread will list all the Scolopendramorpha known to exist in Arizona, USA.

note: i will try to keep this first post on the thread updated with all the info subsequently posted, rather than forcing one to search through the whole thread

see end of this thread for bib/sites

key: if Genus species is bold, then that species occurs in AZ. if the name is not bold, then the range suggests the species *may one day* be located in AZ

DmbRS = Distribution map, by R. Shelley
GIS = Google Image Search

[size=+1]
Order: Scolopendramorpha
Family: Scolopendridae
Sub-family: Scolopendrinae
Genus: Scolopendra
[/size]
Scolopendra polymorpha: DmbRS GIS
. . . Range: All AZ
Scolopendra heros: DmbRS GIS [size=-1]pic1[/size]
. . . Range: E half, except N border
Scolopendra viridis: DmbRS GIS
. . . Range: All but W edge

[size=+1]Genus: Arthrorhabdus [/size]

Arthrorhabdus pygmaeus: Distribution map, by R.Shelley
. . . Range: West Texas, and much of northern Mexico. i am hoping this will extend to CA one day, too

[size=+1]
Family: Scolopocryptopidae[/size] (note: these are all eyeless, i believe, and tend to be on the smaller side)
[size=+1]Sub-family: Scolopocryptopinae
Genus: Scolopocryptops
[/size]

Scolopocryptops gracilis: DmbRS GIS(not to species level)
. . . Range: NW corner

[size=+1]Genus: Kethops[/size] (note: still blind... =P)

Kethops utahensis: Dist. map, by R.Shelley
. . . Range: Spotty distribution in central CA and New Mexico, i.e. E AND W of AZ, but not in AZ

[size=+1]
Family: Cryptopidae[/size] (note: these are all eyeless, i am almost postitive, and tend to be on the smaller side)
[size=+1]Sub-family: Plutoniuminae[/size] (gee that sounds pretty carverniculous... Pluto being the god of the underworld and all...)
[size=+1]Genus: Theatops
[/size]

Theatops posticus: DmbRS GIS
. . . Range: All but NE corner

Other centipedes of interest in AZ:

Lithobiomorpha - "stone life shape" - Stone centipedes. GIS

These could easily be mistaken for "baby scolos". They seem to max out at 1.5"BL for the southern CA variety i often when while bugging. The babies are tiny, i've seen as small as 5-7mm. I have seen hundreds of red stoners, but i FINALLY saw my first black one!

Geophilomorpha - "soil love shape" - Soil Centipedes GIS

These are long and worm-like centipedes. I think they are attractive, and have seen gold, red, and gold with a read head. They seen to max out at ~3.5"BL, and have tiny legs for their body size. These centipedes can have the most leg bearing body segments, with something 137 or 177 body segments!

Scutigeromorpha - "scutigero shape" heh, i don't know that one - House Centipedes GIS

With what i am pretty confident are the longest legs in proportion to body width, scuti's are not your average looking centipedes. I wish i could get them to eat, cuz i would really like to raise some in captivity. These things are ALL legs. Souther CA species max out at ~1.5-2"BL, but with legs and antenna EASILY exceed 4"! They seriously tickle when they run on you.

Bibliography:
All the taxo and range/dist. information from R. Shelley's site:
http://www.naturalsciences.org/research/inverts/centipedes/index.html
R. Shelley: Thou Art God

Last edited: