Arizona Mini Vacation

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I took a quick trip to Arizona with the family this week. I managed to find a few invertebrates while out. I found many more things during a night hike, but my camera takes lousy night photos. Here are some things I found during the day.

Easy way to find cool critters. Look for the signs.

Solifugid

Vaejovis sp. ? ~90 miles North of Phoenix

Vaejovis sp. ? ~60 miles North of Phoenix

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aphonopelma chalcodes

Aphonopelma chalcodes habitat

Hadrurus arizonensis and Vaejovis spinigerus habitat

Where squirrels are grown.

Where snakes come from. I took a photo of this guy in situ on the side of a trail. He was content to sit and watch us in the safety of the rodent burrow.

mackids

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pictures! thanks for sharing. Where in AZ is this?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's a gorgeous A.chalcodes! What an underrated species!

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. We spent the majority of the time in in Phoenix visiting family. We also took a drive straight north of Phoenix. I'm the only one that likes to look for inverts in the family. I had to make frequent stops at likely invert places under the guise of bathroom breaks. :) The A. chalcodes was actually the very last critter I found. I have found them a few times in the past and I still look forward to seeing them. They are great tarantulas. The squirrel cracked me up as well.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing Gil! Sometime you and the family need to make it out to W Tx for herping.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Texas Blonde said:
Sometime you and the family need to make it out to W Tx for herping.
I would love that Sky. I've been wanting to make another trip to that area. My last trip there was a dismal failure. I need to get back and redeem myself. :)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet sign! Can you pull one of those down and mail it to me? That would look totally sweet in my invert room :)

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the second Vaejovid is a Vaejovis spinigerus if you were still unsure, pretty nice examples too...love the A. chalcodes...