Arizona Dune Scorpion

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
Is my Scorpion healthy? its been a week and a half since i purchased my scorpion and she resulted it was pregnant but she is always outside of her hide during the day and at night she hides, isnt it supposed to be opposite active at night and hiding during the day? 15787861884106260137121156993890.jpg

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
it could be the scorpion is still adjusting to its new enclosure. That can take up to two weeks. It could do with a deeper substrate (up to 5 inches), as this species likes to burrow.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I agree with @Dr SkyTower , could be adjusting. Or could she be looking for a better hide/burrow to give birth to her offspring ?
How are you so sure that she is in her hide for the entire night ?
It's pretty normal for a scorpion in a vulnerable (gravid) state to hide during sunset/sunrise because that is the time when many of the scorpions predators are hunting.
Further into the night things calm down, it could be that the scorpion it 'out' during the middle of the night.
I like to sleep at night as most other people do. I also own desert (Buthidae) scorpions that sometimes only come out in the middle of the night, not at sunset.
How i know that for sure (while I'm asleep) is to have a sand top layer on the substrate and use a paint brush to smooth out the top layer.
Next morning i can see if the scorpion has been out by looking at the footprints in the sand without ever seeing the scorpion itself.
I don't own a Vaejovidae Smeringurus myself (yet), but I've seen most owners posting that this species likes to burrow, in that case she needs a lot more substrate.