Arizona blonde vs Chilean Rose??

Aline Lassala

Arachnopeon
So i'm looking for a very docile tarantula that doesn't mind being held.(i know temperament is a hit or miss but) I've heard rose hairs can be moody and defensive and i've heard majority of Arizona blondes are really chill and sweet, even the wild caught. Id like opinions on which is better? I know tarantulas are more "look don't touch" pets.. but i really want to be able to handle mine.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I'd go for the Arizona blonde which is the common name. In forums like this we use the scientific name which would be Aphonopelma chalcodes. The names just helps us determine which species you'e talking about.

Back to the point. the chalcodes (blonde) would be an overall better choice for two main reasons, those being:
Rose hairs an fast for really long times, possibly a year or more. This can lead to anxiety for new keepers. Also like you said the Rose hairs (Grammastola rosea/ porteri/ northern) can have mood swings, one day it's a teddy bear and the next it's a demon spawn.

For handling, I don't recommend it for several reasons which have been beaten to death on this forum already so I'll just give you some main reasons 1.) it risks your T escaping, I remember there was a threat about a T that crwaled up someones fireplace chimney. 2.) it is an unnecessary risk of injury to your spider and your self. I say if you Must handle, don't be complacent and do it in a confined space on the floor so there is no risk of a fall.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So i'm looking for a very docile tarantula that doesn't mind being held.(i know temperament is a hit or miss but) I've heard rose hairs can be moody and defensive and i've heard majority of Arizona blondes are really chill and sweet, even the wild caught. Id like opinions on which is better? I know tarantulas are more "look don't touch" pets.. but i really want to be able to handle mine.
Well, the term 'psycho rosie' exists for a reason. Some are not friendly. While a species may tend to typically act a certain way, your particular spider has its own behavioral tendencies.

If it were me, between the two, I would go for the A. chalcodes.

Having said that, I've heard many people swear by Euathlus Sp. Red as the #1 best T to handle, if you're going to do it. I'm not personally in favor of it, because there is no benefit and all risk to the animal. Even a short fall onto a hard surface can be fatal for them.

Last edited:

Aline Lassala

Arachnopeon
Well, the term 'psycho rosie' exists for a reason. Some are not friendly. While a species may tend to typically act a certain way, your particular spider has its own behavioral tendencies.

If it were me, between the two, I would go for the A. chalcodes.

Having said that, I've heard many people swear by Euthalus Sp. Red as the #1 best T to handle, if you're going to do it. I'm not personally in favor of it, because there is no benefit and all risk to the animal. Even a short fall onto a hard surface can be fatal for them.
Thank you guys for the info!
Okay so for now i've decided to go for a chalcodes, i've looked up euathlus sp reds before they seem super super sweet but i can't seem to find them ANYWHERE (online) i really wanted one but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . if i really don't find one i'm getting a female a.chalcodes from ken the bug guy.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Not touching the handling question, but vs the two, I like the A chalcodes. They are great and easier to deal with. Even though they are both desert tarantulas, I find feeding the chalcodes is easier than the porteri.
The E sp red is a great T. They aren't rare, but not easy to find larger than a spiderling. If you find one, grab it. You won't regret it.
Another one that should be high on your list is the Grammostola pulchripes. It is a fantastic all around first tarantula. They eat well, are calm for the most part, they get pretty big and are easier to find. They are my favorite pick for a first T
Good luck

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you guys for the info!
Okay so for now i've decided to go for a chalcodes, i've looked up euathlus sp reds before they seem super super sweet but i can't seem to find them ANYWHERE (online) i really wanted one but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . if i really don't find one i'm getting a female a.chalcodes from ken the bug guy.
check the classifieds...its a consolidation of hundreds of sellers and dealers. sp. reds are out there.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If I had to make the choice between the two - I would pick the Aphonopelma chalcodes. It's not because I am hating on Grammostola porteri, because I have always had them and loved them, but if I could only have one or the other the A.chalcodes would win.
I adore my girl so much - she is always active and rearranging her enclosure. I even think it's awesome that she fills her dish with substrate. She has a lot of character. Plus, she is just stunningly gorgeous...
DSC02723-2.jpg

gobey

Arachnoknight
Get the Aphonopelma

It'll be a more consistent spider in behavior and feeding

Both are slow growers that require a very simple setup.

The Aphonopelma is prettier IMO too.

My G. porteri is a grouch. I love her as she was my first T. But upon recently getting an Aphonopelma seemanni, I'm wishing I started with a more interesting and less cranky T lol.

As for handling.

Be careful for you and your T. Test its temperament first. I wouldn't handle often either. The T is the variable in that equation you will never control.

That's all I'll say about that.

Aline Lassala

Arachnopeon
If I had to make the choice between the two - I would pick the Aphonopelma chalcodes. It's not because I am hating on Grammostola porteri, because I have always had them and loved them, but if I could only have one or the other the A.chalcodes would win.
I adore my girl so much - she is always active and rearranging her enclosure. I even think it's awesome that she fills her dish with substrate. She has a lot of character. Plus, she is just stunningly gorgeous...
View attachment 230092
oh my gosh she's precious!!! i think tarantulas are so cute hahaha

Aline Lassala

Arachnopeon
Get the Aphonopelma

It'll be a more consistent spider in behavior and feeding

Both are slow growers that require a very simple setup.

The Aphonopelma is prettier IMO too.

My G. porteri is a grouch. I love her as she was my first T. But upon recently getting an Aphonopelma seemanni, I'm wishing I started with a more interesting and less cranky T lol.

As for handling.

Be careful for you and your T. Test its temperament first. I wouldn't handle often either. The T is the variable in that equation you will never control.

That's all I'll say about that.

okay thanks! and
Alright guys! thanks so much for all the advice, and opinions, i've decided to get an A. chalcodes:) and maybe later on get a cute little euathlus sp red. glad to join this T community and learn more everyday:)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We're here to help. This hobby can be very enjoyable, lots of good people. I've had tarantulas for over 40 years and they still fascinate me. It's times like these that I recall the words of Batman (Adam West): Another youth put on the road to a brighter tomorrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know tarantulas are more "look don't touch" pets.. but i really want to be able to handle mine.
Would you handle fish too? Handling a T is a great way to end up with an injured or dead T. Good luck w/that.

cute little euathlus sp red.
They are out there.