Arizona blonde vs Chilean Rose??

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Personally, I think people here are just mostly against the Grammostola Rosea because it's so common in the hobby, and always recommended for beginners... That said, any species can have individuals with wildly varying personalities, so there's that. I try not to handle my Ts (anymore, yes I did handle them before I realized how bad that was for them) but my Grammostola sp "North" is very docile if somewhat shy.

He/she just molted and looks beautiful, but hey, I'm biased and I don't own a chalcodes (yet!)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Personally, I think people here are just mostly against the Grammostola Rosea because it's so common in the hobby, and always recommended for beginners.I.. That said, any species can have individuals with wildly varying personalities, so there's that. I try not to handle my Ts (anymore, yes I did handle them before I realized how bad that was for them) but my Grammostola sp "North" is very docile if somewhat shy.

He/she just molted and looks beautiful, but hey, I'm biased and I don't own a chalcodes (yet!)
Euhm, no. G.rosea isn't recommended for beginning T keepers because of them being common.
They're not recommended for
beginners because they are notorious for moodswings and extended fasting. Throw in the fact that they grow slow, that makes it not the best first species.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Euhm, no. G.rosea isn't recommended for beginning T keepers because of them being common.
They're not recommended for
beginners because they are notorious for moodswings and extended fasting. Throw in the fact that they grow slow, that makes it not the best first species.
You misunderstand me. They aren't recommended here, and I agree with it, but in the internet in general? They're pretty much your 'first tarantula' almost in every other website -- not that these websites are any good, obviously.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You misunderstand me. They aren't recommended here, and I agree with it, but in the internet in general? They're pretty much your 'first tarantula' almost in every other website -- not that these websites are any good, obviously.
Grammostola porteri/rosea are an excellent choice for beginners - beginners who have done their homework and are aware that they can fast for many months and could have mood swings ranging from angel to demon.
When it comes to dead easy husbandry, they are an excellent choice. When it comes to getting a species that will not cost you a fortune - even as an adult female, they are an excellent choice. When it comes to a very low maintenance, low venom toxicity, low defensiveness, they are a perfect choice for a first tarantula. When it comes to forgiving new keeper's mistakes that would easily kill lots of other species, they are the perfect choice.
As long as you are prepared for the very small list of cons, as opposed to the very long list of pros, then they are an excellent choice for a very first tarantula.

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Grammostola porteri/rosea are an excellent choice for beginners - beginners who have done their homework and are aware that they can fast for many months and could have mood swings ranging from angel to demon.
When it comes to dead easy husbandry, they are an excellent choice. When it comes to getting a species that will not cost you a fortune - even as an adult female, they are an excellent choice. When it comes to a very low maintenance, low venom toxicity, low defensiveness, they are a perfect choice for a first tarantula. When it comes to forgiving new keepers mistakes that would easily kill lots of other species, they are the perfect choice.
As long as you are prepared for the very small list of cons, as opposed to the very long list of pros, then this is an excellent choice for a very first tarantula.
Only reason why I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just joins the hobby is because they can be pet rocks. They fast for months and even years, and with their slow growth rate and slow attitude, I personally am not a fan. Individuals vary, but that is what I have heard. IMO, I like to own T's that are always doing something. T's that love to eat, always webbing, changing their burrows, etc. That is just me though :D

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
When it comes to dead easy husbandry, they are an excellent choice. When it comes to getting a species that will not cost you a fortune - even as an adult female, they are an excellent choice. When it comes to a very low maintenance, low venom toxicity, low defensiveness, they are a perfect choice for a first tarantula. When it comes to forgiving new keeper's mistakes that would easily kill lots of other species, they are the perfect choice.
As long as you are prepared for the very small list of cons, as opposed to the very long list of pros, then they are an excellent choice for a very first tarantula.
I might argue that G. pulchripes is better overall as a first spider, although I agree that there are way worse choices than the G. Rosea. As with anything, you just have to research and know what you're getting into.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I might argue that G. pulchripes is better overall as a first spider, although I agree that there are way worse choices than the G. Rosea. As with anything, you just have to research and know what you're getting into.
While I like a lot of things about the G.pulchripes (I have 4 of them myself) they just recently started catching on as the new liked flavor of the month. We tend to bunch the same responses as a group when we recommend Ts just like when we recommend care. There are a lot of good start out Ts in the hobby and it really just depends on what the hobbyist is expecting or looking for.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I love my Grammostola pulchripes, but they are not for everyone. Someone here recently voiced a concern about their size, which is an absolutely valid concern for a person new to the hobby. Not everyone is going to be comfortable with their first tarantula becoming 7+ inches in a relatively short time compared to others.
And individuals vary greatly in temperament, as with any species, and you're not guaranteed to get a high tolerance individual. My little girl is not as docile as people are often led to believe and I can see someone being uncomfortable with that at their adult size. Granted, she might become more tolerant as an adult like her brother.
They are an excellent choice for a beginner, but they require research to be done just like every other species out there.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ah, it seemed like you dismissed the G.rosea because of how common they are.
Getting a G.rosea that actually is a G.rosea instead of a porteri/sp.North/Cafe/Maule is another daunting task, since those species are mixed up nine out of ten times, like Brachypelma/Avicularia is.

But that aside, i think there are pretty G.rosea/porteri and so on, out there. I've been thinking about getting one for the heck of it but i'll definitely get a juvi/adult instead of a sling. Two slow growing slings are enough for me :p

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My Evelyn was always very active her whole life and was a very sweet and tolerant girl. My Ophelia is also very active and spends a lot of time webbing up her fake plants. She is far more active than both my male B.smithi combined. She seems to be less tolerant than my Evelyn was, though.
And I think that they are gorgeous too...
Ophelia.jpg

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Ah, it seemed like you dismissed the G.rosea because of how common they are.
Getting a G.rosea that actually is a G.rosea instead of a porteri/sp.North/Cafe/Maule is another daunting task, since those species are mixed up nine out of ten times, like Brachypelma/Avicularia is.

But that aside, i think there are pretty G.rosea/porteri and so on, out there. I've been thinking about getting one for the heck of it but i'll definitely get a juvi/adult instead of a sling. Two slow growing slings are enough for me :p
I agree with you. I still don't have a G. rosea. Every time I see a female for sale, I pause and then think there is something else I would rather have instead. I love Aphonopelma, but do wish there was more LB females instead of so many WC specimens. It is also too bad that Eupalastrus campestratus are just as rare and expensive as E. Sp. Red for adult specimens.

cold blood

Staff member
Only reason why I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just joins the hobby is because they can be pet rocks. They fast for months and even years, and with their slow growth rate and slow attitude, I personally am not a fan. Individuals vary, but that is what I have heard. IMO, I like to own T's that are always doing something. T's that love to eat, always webbing, changing their burrows, etc. That is just me though :D
My reason is that they do everything so slowly that it makes learning anything from them darn near impossible. Its hard to learn from something that hardly even moves for long stretches at a time and has incredible low food requirements (we all like to watch them feed, but its extra exciting for a new keeper).

I started with one, had it for over 8 years before I started to put things together and be comfortable with things....I then got a G. pulchripes juvie...and in the next 2 months learned more from that spider than I did in 8 years with that rose hair...getting that pulchripes even made me a better porteri owner.

I urge people away from rose hairs simply so they can learn things faster, and learn from my mistake. But then, I rescued mine and didn't buy it, but still, I would have advanced so much farther so much faster had I started with that pulchripes instead.

Another thing to consider is the VAST number of new keepers that come here specifically because of concerns for rose hairs...in fact, I'd bet that's the #1 beginner post on this forum.

They're great animals, I love mine and really respect the species for their extreme capabilities...they really are amazing in their own ways....but to start out with one, and just that one, as most people start out, its just frustrating and honestly gives the newbie the wrong impression on tarantulas...It did for me. They're uniquely boring and slow.

The one person I will suggest them for, is the arachnophobe, and that's because their total lack of movement for extended periods of time can help instill confidence and reduce fears, as movement is the #1 freak out for most phobes. But for those genuinely interested in the hobby, everything else available to them would make a new keeper happier IMO.

As abyss mentioned, the #1 thing most beginners want is an active t, and why wouldn't they...rosies are anything but.

cold blood

Staff member
My Evelyn was always very active her whole life and was a very sweet and tolerant girl. My Ophelia is also very active and spends a lot of time webbing up her fake plants. She is far more active than both my male B.smithi combined. She seems to be less tolerant than my Evelyn was, though.
And I think that they are gorgeous too...
View attachment 230130
I think your experiences differ from most. Definitely different than mine as my Brachys are all much much more active from my porteri. i now see where you are coming from.:D

Pretty t...you take such nice pics all the time:)

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I hear hamsters are good for handling (i wouldn't know) Tarantulas really aren't though
Honestly, I'd say that they're not great to handle either. Hamsters are nocturnal, so often when you're taking them out, you're pulling them out of bed, and they REALLY don't like it, so biting is a common response. I worked at Petsmart for a couple of years, and by far, we got the most bites from hamsters...easily more than every other animal combined. They are painful because they are small but deep puncture wounds and take a while to heal. We didn't harass the hamsters any more than we had to, but all cages are completely cleaned out once a week, and customers do want to see the animal they're about to buy.

Would I rather handle a hamster or a tarantula? Hamster, because it's less likely to die from handling, and there's no venom, but I can tell you from many hamster bites that they're no fun.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Pretty t...you take such nice pics all the time:)
I appreciate that a lot, thank you. :)
I think that they are gorgeous creatures and it is important for me to bring out the beauty in them for others to see. That isn't as much of a priority here, since the vast majority already love them, but in other places that I use my photos. Most people are floored at how beautiful some tarantulas are. Some of my gang have won over even the staunchest of arachnophobes.
It's all about spreading the spider love.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Honestly, I'd say that they're not great to handle either. Hamsters are nocturnal, so often when you're taking them out, you're pulling them out of bed, and they REALLY don't like it, so biting is a common response. I worked at Petsmart for a couple of years, and by far, we got the most bites from hamsters...easily more than every other animal combined. They are painful because they are small but deep puncture wounds and take a while to heal. We didn't harass the hamsters any more than we had to, but all cages are completely cleaned out once a week, and customers do want to see the animal they're about to buy.

Would I rather handle a hamster or a tarantula? Hamster, because it's less likely to die from handling, and there's no venom, but I can tell you from many hamster bites that they're no fun.
TRUE STORY
i knew a kid in 5th grade whose Aunt had dropped his hamster and it parished consequently. I didnt even remember that until now. Lol. But i have also heard about them having a nasty bite for your average pet rodents.