Arizona blonde growth

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
This is 100% the info I was looking for! I just got a 3" babe and was wondering how old she might be haha
Keep in mind that a 3” specimen that’s wild caught may be older than a 3” specimen that’s captive bred (or one that was caught at 1”) due to more regular feeding in captivity

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Is it worth it to get this species at a 1" sling? Do they really take that long to grow?
Well that all depends on how old you are. If you're older like me start with a 3 inch dls one. If you start with a spiderling you'll be long dead before it matures out.

1 inch is great to start off with if you're younger.

They are totally worth having in a collection. Mine is quite entertaining to watch. If I do cage maintenance, refilling water dish or feeding she will come out of her burrow to see what was going on after 5 minutes when I finish.

Mine is 3.5 inches also does oddball things. Look at my profile pic. She was doing that for a week. I thought I was going to get lucky and get a molt but NOOOOOOOO! she decided against it.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Is it worth it to get this species at a 1" sling? Do they really take that long to grow?
Yes.

I got a .25" sling in January 2019. It is currently barely two inches.

Could be worse though. I got a .25" Aphonopelma mooreae one month later. It is currently just under 1 inch.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Find an adult if you can.
Disagree - we shouldn't be encouraging wild caught specimens, even if the slings take forever to grow. Especially for Aphonopelma that are so available as CB slings.

It's frustrating OP, no doubt, but I'd say it's worth it. They're fun to watch even as slings/juvies. My 1/4" (maybe less) hentzi and catalina are already bulldozers. I had a (suspect) hentzi that was maybe 2.5" and they were a certified backhoe operator.

RabbitGal89

Arachnopeon
This thread is such a relief. My boyfriend got me the tiniest of slings in July 2019. The little twerp has gone on multiple hunger strikes and I've only seen it molt once. It's happy, climbing and borrowing and such. I fret over it though, and wondered if I was doing something wrong.
It grows slower than me G. rosea that I brought home in a tiny sauce cup.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Waiting for someone to post they have an adult female A. chalcodes. So I can push my mature gigolo male A. chalcodes on them while he still lives.

However.....it's always the same, my small T won't grow....*sigh*

Last edited: