Arizona blonde growth

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Is it worth it to get this species at a 1" sling? Do they really take that long to grow?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Blondes in Arizona take about 18 years to mature give or take a few. That's physical though, psychological maturity is a whole different thing.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
They're a very pretty species and are on the lower side of maintenance. I love them, but yes any aphonopelma species takes a long time to mature.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Blondes in Arizona take about 18 years to mature give or take a few. That's physical though, psychological maturity is a whole different thing.
It sucks that we're only allowed one rating per post. For this one i wanted to hit the funny, award and creativity...i'll go for the funny, but just so you know, this post ;)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol I have had a sub adult male A. chalcodes since late 2012 and it STILL hasn't molted once! I guess he's in no hurry to mature and die...

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol I have had a sub adult male A. chalcodes since late 2012 and it STILL hasn't molted once! I guess he's in no hurry to mature and die...
It's funny you should say that I have a Aphonopelma gabeli juvenile male who as been with me since 2013 and he's moulted once he eats once out of ever 10 feeders I offer him. Yet I've got an Aphonopelma serratum adult male that matured in just 2.5 years and maxed out at 3.5" so go figure these Aphonopelma are a strange bunch

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's funny you should say that I have a Aphonopelma gabeli juvenile male who as been with me since 2013 and he's moulted once he eats once out of ever 10 feeders I offer him. Yet I've got an Aphonopelma serratum adult male that matured in just 2.5 years and maxed out at 3.5" so go figure these Aphonopelma are a strange bunch
Quite so! Don't want him to molt ever either... He's just the cutest thing, when he hooks out he will be all uggo!!

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Very slow - I got a ~3-3.5" one as my first T. almost a year ago and it's still yet to molt in my care! Get subadult/adult if you don't like waiting - their colouration is beautiful and they can be quite the "characters" (well mine is at least!).

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quite so! Don't want him to molt ever either... He's just the cutest thing, when he hooks out he will be all uggo!!
That's the thing although my A serratum is still a beautiful species even though he hooked out, I still get what you mean about them being cute I think it works with some other species of slow growers like Brachypelma,Grammostola and I think for me it's because they don't hit that leggy stage like lp,phormic,Pamphobeteus etc. Aphonopelma,Brachypelma and Grammostola just look like shrunk down versions of their adults

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Only Aphonopelma I have was a .5" hentzi. Four years later and it's only about 2 1/4" :meh:

...just saying the next time I get any Aphonopelma I'll pay extra for an adult. ;)

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
We'll see how my chalcodes goes. She's at 4" DLS right now (I've had her for about 2 months now). Yet, despite their slow growth, she matches my LK and my GBB in feeding response and she's yet to turn down a feeder. She's also my most active spider (at least of the ones who aren't slings)... go figure

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I just got my 1/4" chalcodes recently to go with my 1/4" Hentzi's and 1/3" Marxi's. The race is on. Ready Set Go!

Jgboeser

Arachnopeon
I just got a 3" chalcodes - I was having these same debates with myself! The one I got is really the only one I managed to find that was any bigger than a sling, I really didn't think they would be so tricky to find! Since all these replies are about 4 years old now, any updates?? How are everyone's babies doin now?