Arizona Bark Babies?

Squirrelish

Arachnopeon
After a couple weeks of extreme bloating in one of my female AZ bark scorpions (another one is pregnant too, but hasn't birthed yet), she finally gave birth to approximately 8 babies today. But, she normally sleeps upside down, so they all fell in the sand and are running around! Aren't they supposed to stay with her? Also, I can see they are exceptional climbers... I am afraid of them being able to escape my glass enclosure. Any tips on this?

I'll attach a few images for pics sake:

EDIT: She finally came down and is gathering them up. More pics to come!

EDIT2: I came back and she left them so she could mate!

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I understand, baby scorpions don't have a fully developed skin. It doesn't retain moisture well. Mother scorpions provide that moisture that keeps the babies from dehydrating.

I've seen other hobbiest who in this situation have placed the abandoned babies in a deli cup with a moist paper towel. The towel must be kept damp (not dripping wet) or the babies will die. Don't poke wholes in the lid or anything that might cause the humidity to go down. If needed add more water.

I had this happen to me just last week, with a Az bark. She abandoned two babies. I did what I outlined above and so far one baby has molted, just this moring.

I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct, (if not, please say so) but the results have been encouraging. I've lost several babies that were abandoned. This is the first time I've managed to save any.

I'm posting a few pictures. You can see the one that has molted as well as the one I'm waiting on.

Last edited:

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Strange... All of my newborn barkie have no problem clinging on their mom even though she is upside down....
They even molted in upside down position with the help of gravitation
I think your babies are probably weak clutch and not gonna make it through but who know, i'm not an expert
Let see what Michiel or others say bout it...

Here's a pic of mine molting upside down
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UgJDQbtmZxc/SyUKn3DY0aI/AAAAAAAAAsM/NruxdByli-s/s1600-h/6th.JPG

Squirrelish

Arachnopeon
Took your advice this morning when I found 4 of the 8 dead and crispy. They have barely moved since I put them in the pitri dish, but every once in a while I see a leg twitch.

From what I understand, baby scorpions don't have a fully developed skin. It doesn't retain moisture well. Mother scorpions provide that moisture that keeps the babies from dehydrating.

I've seen other hobbiest who in this situation have placed the abandoned babies in a deli cup with a moist paper towel. The towel must be kept damp (not dripping wet) or the babies will die. Don't poke wholes in the lid or anything that might cause the humidity to go down. If needed add more water.

I had this happen to me just last week, with a Az bark. She abandoned two babies. I did what I outlined above and so far one baby has molted, just this moring.

I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct, (if not, please say so) but the results have been encouraging. I've lost several babies that were abandoned. This is the first time I've managed to save any.

I'm posting a few pictures. You can see the one that has molted as well as the one I'm waiting on.