Are woodlouse spiders abundant in New Hampshire?

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Hey folks!
I've probably posted more threads about Dysdera crocata than any other arachnid. That's because this species is, unfortunately, very rare in the hobby.
Yes, many people have seen these in their own backyards.
But since when did the hobby depend on keeping arachnids that are exotic?
A small species, this tarantula-like spider is perfect for those with small space requirements. It's easy to feed, eating isopods as well as crickets, mealworms, and roaches.
It's a great species for people too squeamish to feed rodents to spiders (for example, us) and is more active than web-building species.
Unfortunately, I've never seen one.
My hunt goes on.
If anyone has read my previous posts, they'll know we live in NH, specifically, Groveton, a deathly cold town.
But my question this time no longer correlates to where we live.

Does Dysdera crocata live ANYWHERE in New Hampshire? Is it abundant anywhere in the state?
Sadly, it may be illegal to import the spider from another state.

But has anyone heard of these spiders being abundant anywhere in the state? If so, then maybe we could do some spider-hunting.
I believe this species prefers urbanized areas?

And while I'm at it, I have a question.
Has this spider been kept communally, before?
I might as well ask while I'm at it. I think I've posted nearly enough threads on this species, but I can't help it. I just happen to be very fond of this ferocious looking, common spider.

Once again, any input is appreciated. Thanks! God bless!

Last edited by a moderator:

PullinginExotics

Arachnopeon
Hey folks!
I've probably posted more threads about Dysdera crocata than any other arachnid. That's because this species is, unfortunately, very rare in the hobby.
A small species, this tarantula-like spider is perfect for those with small space requirements. It's easy to feed, eating isopods as well as crickets, mealworms, and roaches.
It's a great species for people too squeamish to feed rodents to spiders (for example, us) and is more active than web-building species.
My hunt goes on.
If anyone has read my previous posts, they'll know we live in NH, specifically, Groveton, a deathly cold town.

Does Dysdera crocata live ANYWHERE in New Hampshire? Is it abundant anywhere in the state?

But has anyone heard of these spiders being abundant anywhere in the state? If so, then maybe we could do some spider-hunting.

I might as well ask while I'm at it. I think I've posted nearly enough threads on this species, but I can't help it. I just happen to be very fond of this ferocious looking, common spider.

They should be in New Hampshire. Look under wood piles and garbage cans in yards. Anywhere damp and cool where you might find woodlouse. They should be along the Easter coast of the US. I know they are here in Virginia.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
They should be in New Hampshire. Look under wood piles and garbage cans in yards. Anywhere damp and cool where you might find woodlouse. They should be along the Easter coast of the US. I know they are here in Virginia.
How abundant are they in general? Like, are they easy to come across flipping stones on a day trip? Are they as abundant as the sowbugs that they eat?

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
How abundant are they in general? Like, are they easy to come across flipping stones on a day trip? Are they as abundant as the sowbugs that they eat?
I was shoveling rock for my garden this spring and I found one. Our rock pile is next to our wood pile in a field so if you look for good habitats like that, you should fine one. I don't think they are quite as abundant as woodlouses but they will be there.

PullinginExotics

Arachnopeon
What regalpaws said. They aren't going to be as abundant as woodlouse but they will be there. Just keep your eyes out and you'll find one. I've got my eyes out looking for one for you.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey folks!
My hunt goes on.

They're around when you find the right habitat.

They're not communal.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
They're around when you find the right habitat.

They're not communal.
Strange, I heard that they are communal. I know they are not super peaceful. But my main question is can woodlouse spiders be allowed to breed freely in a tank, without any separation being required? They will certainly cannibalize, but would the tank be stable overall? Would there be a certain tank size for cohabitation of several individuals? Maybe 10 gallons?
Likewise, could stone centipedes or pseudoscorpions be added to the tank to control spiderlings? I know that they would have to be breeding themselves to survive predation from the adult woodlouse spiders.

If they're not communal, then what on earth is going on here?

What regalpaws said. They aren't going to be as abundant as woodlouse but they will be there. Just keep your eyes out and you'll find one. I've got my eyes out looking for one for you.
Like, for example, how many woodlouse spiders would one come across in a year? Only one? I'm hoping to breed them.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Strange, I heard that they are communal. I know they are not super peaceful. But my main question is can woodlouse spiders be allowed to breed freely in a tank, without any separation being required? They will certainly cannibalize, but would the tank be stable overall? Would there be a certain tank size for cohabitation of several individuals? Maybe 10 gallons?
Likewise, could stone centipedes or pseudoscorpions be added to the tank to control spiderlings? I know that they would have to be breeding themselves to survive predation from the adult woodlouse spiders.

If they're not communal, then what on earth is going on here?

Like, for example, how many woodlouse spiders would one come across in a year? Only one? I'm hoping to breed them.
What I mean is they can live together but it's never 100% guarantee they won't cannibalize. Same with C. sculpturatus or any other colony dwellers.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
What I mean is they can live together but it's never 100% guarantee they won't cannibalize. Same with C. sculpturatus or any other colony dwellers.
The kind of setup I intended was sort of an "ecosystem" tank, allowing the spiders to breed to replenish any losses. So occasional cannibalism would not be a big deal. Neither would occasional centipede predation.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The kind of setup I intended was sort of an "ecosystem" tank, allowing the spiders to breed to replenish any losses. So occasional cannibalism would not be a big deal. Neither would occasional centipede predation.
Ah okay.