Are Ts getting to much light .

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I'm starting to get abit worried about my Ts as my son works nights now and stays up in the living room with the light on from about 3am till he goes to bed . This means that my Ts only get about three or four hours in darkness , I know they can go in their hides but I'm worried this can't be doing them any good ! Maybe I should cover them up at night ? I can't move them anywhere else unfortunately, and he wont always stay in his room .

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Do they have hides they can go in to get some level of darkness?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry if the lights are fairly dim but if too bright it could be concerning.
Yes they are bright, I may have to put a blanket over them or something , or get a lamp with a dimmer on it then .

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know they don't have the best eyes but I do think a "natural" photo period is a must. My inverts get at least 10hrs of darkness a day and to me it's an necessity as most of my T's won't emerge until it is dark.

10 hours gives them plenty of time to wander, drink, web and hunt (behave naturally).

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I know they don't have the best eyes but I do think a "natural" photo period is a must. My inverts get at least 10hrs of darkness a day and to me it's an necessity as most of my T's won't emerge until it is dark.

10 hours gives them plenty of time to wander, drink, web and hunt (behave naturally).
That's what I thought .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no i wouldnt bother with anything. no one really knows for sure if they need a circadian rhythm.
its pretty much people just kind of guessing.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
no i wouldnt bother with anything. no one really knows for sure if they need a circadian rhythm.
its pretty much people just kind of guessing.
Oh ok , but I think I will try and get a dimmer light in the room as I do have a few new ones that do come out at night more so I've read .

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I only have one that seems extremely bothered by any light and one that doesn't like bright light but the rest seem to not mind.

cold blood

Staff member

Then all my ts should be in peril as i keep my t room dark 24/7....but no...theyre healthy, molting and dropping sacs. 20170505_180029.jpg 20170505_152703.jpg

Ts have no light requirements, but it wont bother them....op, i wouldnt be too concerned.

At night i just cant have bright lights on...but thats me and im not an arachnid.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Then all my ts should be in peril as i keep my t room dark 24/7....but no...theyre healthy, molting and dropping sacs. View attachment 239520 View attachment 239521

Ts have no light requirements, but it wont bother them....op, i wouldnt be too concerned.

At night i just cant have bright lights on...but thats me and im not an arachnid.
But that's the exact opposite. The OPs T's are nigh on in constant light.

I just prefer to offer up a more natural set day. If they want to get away from the light they stay in their burrows.

cold blood

Staff member
But that's the exact opposite. The OPs T's are nigh on in constant light.

I just prefer to offer up a more natural set day. If they want to get away from the light they stay in their burrows.
i was responding to your statement about ts needing light.

Ops ts have hides and can remain in darkness.

@Leila yes it is.

basin79

ArachnoGod
i was responding to your statement about ts needing light.

Ops ts have hides and can remain in darkness.

@Leila yes it is.
True. But if it's mostly light they'll then spend more time in their burrows instead of maybe coming out. It just feels like the choice is being taken away from them if they're faced with light conditions most of the day.

Leila

Arachnobaron
You know what is pretty weird?

I have a porteri who spends 90% of his time in the ONE corner of his enclosure that gets a tiny bit of sunlight from a nearby window. He loves that bright corner.
I have always assumed that he thinks the bright corner is his ticket out of his man-made home and into the wild for a romantic rendezvous with a sassy girl by the name of Rosie. :wacky:

Who knows...just a speculation.

cold blood

Staff member
True. But if it's mostly light they'll then spend more time in their burrows instead of maybe coming out. It just feels like the choice is being taken away from them if they're faced with light conditions most of the day.
I dont follow that logic. Most ts avoid light, only energing when its not there...so in a dark room they actually have more freedom....ts kept in darkness are just out a lot more as they dont need to hide. Thats my experience, as i didnt always keep them dark...but since i do, i see them much more often. I dont see how something they avoid is a requirement.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I dont follow that logic. Most ts avoid light, only energing when its not there...so in a dark room they actually have more freedom....ts kept in darkness are just out a lot more as they dont need to hide. Thats my experience, as i didnt always keep them dark...but since i do, i see them much more often. I dont see how something they avoid is a requirement.
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not typing about your T's being kept dark but the OPs being kept light.

Unless an invert has evolved in a cave and would never see light giving them a more natural photo period is my preference.

cold blood

Staff member
Im not misunderstandimg. If an animal avoids light and almost never sees it naturally, how is the light needed?

Its not like us where we get critical nutrients from the sun....we, and most mammals do have that need, but for a t light just signifies a time to hide away. Hence the reason a t not ecposed to light has much less need to hide away.

If an asteroid hit us and blanketed us in total darkness, many, if not most life would struggle to survive....many inverts like roaches and spiders would not.

Its an interesting topic and maybe one day it will be proven, but till then we really just have our theories and assumptions.

But i use roaches as a "guide" because they are known to not require light, and just like most ts (yes, im sure theres exceptions), avoid light at all costs....and you cant need something if your life is all about avoiding it.

Many arachnids do live in caves, many others live underground which isnt any differrent...go to any place devoid of light, like your cave example, and you will find arachnids as long as its not too cold of course