Are true P. subfuscas (highlands) rare in the market these days?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I don't have any subadult HL or LL subfuscas anymore. Sold my female HL last year and never really got a picture of her. I do however have a group of slings that should be showing adult colors within the next molt or so, they are roughly 2.5-3" now

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
This one's my 3 year old female, around 6" DLS, she is a lot darker in live, camera lighting screwed up the pic by huge margin, and i hae shit camera and cant take better pic than this. She looks a lot like your adult female you have color-wise @DeTwan

Attachments

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
This one's my 3 year old female, around 6" DLS, she is a lot darker in live, camera lighting screwed up the pic by huge margin, and i hae shit camera and cant take better pic than this. She looks a lot like your adult female you have color-wise @DeTwan
Very pretty, by far one of my favorite pokies.

I think my list is
Rufilata
Subfusca HL
Metallica
Subfusca LL
Regalis

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
agreed, i'm a sucker for high contrast T's, uniform colores are boring :p
It is really hard to argue with that super bright blue and yellow. Colors so bright are rarely seen in nature outside of birds and fish, so they are a true gem (get it? Get it? Gooty SAPHIRE :D)

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say that the smaller female that I just received is about 1.5-2years old, and in need of a molt. I will post picture this winter or spring when she molts. At the moment she is about 4in length.
@Marijan2 I was just on FB and there is this closed group called Mature Male Tarantula Hookup.
Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/771834862920592/
There was a subadult male for sale for $75 on there, might check it.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
It is really hard to argue with that super bright blue and yellow. Colors so bright are rarely seen in nature outside of birds and fish, so they are a true gem (get it? Get it? Gooty SAPHIRE :D)
I mean, the meaning of the genus name Poecilotheria literally translates to "varied color wild animal" :D

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I would say that the smaller female that I just received is about 1.5-2years old, and in need of a molt. I will post picture this winter or spring when she molts. At the moment she is about 4in length.
@Marijan2 I was just on FB and there is this closed group called Mature Male Tarantula Hookup.
Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/771834862920592/
There was a subadult male for sale for $75 on there, might check it.
Yea, USA does not cut it for me, since i'm from eastern Europe

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well schnit...I might have to pull the trigger myself and get 3 males, seem so hard to find

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey @Marijan2 , notice how your girl doesnt maintain true black down the folium on the abdomen, I think the true black down the folium is more or less an male attribute in the HL form, and doesnt definitively connote that it is LL in any manner.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Hey @Marijan2 , notice how your girl doesnt maintain true black down the folium on the abdomen, I think the true black down the folium is more or less an male attribute in the HL form, and doesnt definitively connote that it is LL in any manner.
Yeah, i know she does not have uniform black foliage. We can just speculate what exactly we have sadly, maybe its the best we start calling these subfuscas "hobby form HL" and "hobby form LL", just like vagans stuff.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I am very adamant on keeping whatever is left of the two lineages. Sadly there is so much disputed info in identifying between the two that it is very confusing to come to a concise agreement on what is what. Recently I saw an image that was made by some german with amazing camera skills.
Whomever took the photo put the images side by side for comparison of the HL form and LL form. It was evident on which was which, mostly due to size, darkness, and posture. I really think their resting posture say alot about the form.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/subfusca/interesting/

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Here is my 7 year old HL AF that these two sub-adult males are for.
This girl was labeled HL when I bought her back in 2009. She looked very similar to the smaller sub-adult female that I posted above when she was younger. As you can see she is pretty 'dark' from her age.
\[/GALLERY]
I am not a fan of Poecilotheria, but your female is absolutely beautiful! She is like some abstract artworks, the ones where, if you look long enough, you discover something new everytime you see it.
I am afraid i will be using the ladder system after all, if it means working my way up to this species...

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Based on what are you making that assumption?
Dorsal markings, leg markings and coloration. I know not a taxonomical analysis since identifying by photos is a sketchy practice at best, but a guess is the best we got given only photos

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Dorsal markings, leg markings and coloration. I know not a taxonomical analysis since identifying by photos is a sketchy practice at best, but a guess is the best we got given only photos
Its better to just not give an uneducated guess :)

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Angel, what is your thoughts on forms. Does it even make sense to try to distinguish the different forms, or should be just calling the P.subfusca in the markets since the genealogy is so diluted?

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The more I study the images that I linked above...here http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/subfusca/interesting/
I am noticing that actually truer HL forms have very large chelicerae, are in fact bulkier yet smaller than the LL form. Which is all very evident in my AF that is uber dark.
I am also noticing that the abdomen markings that you see with vertical striping that are attributed to the HL, are attributes to both forms, but that the LL abdomen darkens at a faster rate. My AF that is 7 years of age only lost her vertical abdominal striping about 1.5-2 years ago.

I am also noticing that in some ways the HL form is actually 'lighter', but it some how has deeper and darker purples that pop thur. All in all, Im infatuated with this species and it has reinvigorated my love for the hobby, consider me back in the game!

I can only hope that I get lucky and can spread the love. Atm, the specimens are going into winter with max temps of 65-68F and night lows of 60-63F

My AF dropped a phantom sack last year under these conditions, unfortunately I was hoping for a pen-ultimate molt on one of these guys, but it looks like Ive got a year at least to go...shucks

Last edited: