are they that bad ?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:) hi are phormictopus cancerides ( aka ) haitian brown as bad as some books say ? thanks for any help - phil :)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks i will look around and see i what i can find out :) thanks - phil

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont fully understand what you mean when you say bad. But mine is aggressive and i love it. He and my blondi are about even. I have heard that ther venom may be more toxic, but there is no way i am going to find out anytime soon. Let me know if you do!;P he he he

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phormictopus cancirides are generally very defensive - they act more like an OW spider and have the size and power to carry out their threats.

One of the few tarantulas I actually dislike. :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Generally from what I've heard, they can have attitudes. I have a P. cancerides that is a little over six inches (unsexed because it keeps destroying moults) that is handleable. Mine is quite shy and hides when I feed and water it.
From what everyone else has told me this is not normal. All T's are individuals though, I've heard of G. pulchras that are killers. If you want one, get one, and treat it with respect. Once you get to know its idividual temperment, proceed from there.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All T's are individuals though, I've heard of G. pulchras that are killers. If you want one, get one

Great advise. Most animals have certain "traits". But, nature does not offer any guarantees. If your unsure then maybe you should wait. Its all up to you and how confident you are about owning a potentially defensive species.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I had two (male and female) that were around six inches or so, and neither of them were all that defensive. They didn't kick hair and it took alot to get them to go into a threat display. I actually really miss them. They were very cool tarantulas. From what I hear though, they were definitely not the norm for that species.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had two (male and female) that were around six inches or so, and neither of them were all that defensive. They didn't kick hair and it took alot to get them to go into a threat display. I actually really miss them. They were very cool tarantulas. From what I hear though, they were definitely not the norm for that species.
mine big female is exactly the same way. she couldnt care less what i do as long as im not touching her....and even then she just slowly walks away.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a female of a bit over 4 inches.

She doesn't even make threats, she just goes right for the chomp! I've seen her attack tweezers, chopsticks, paintbrushes, and water, just off the top of my head.

Fun to watch and not a bad coloration actually, but I'm not looking forward to the rehouse I have to do once she gets rested up from her recent molt. :}

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't go out and get anything you're not comfortable dealing with, but by the same token I will say my "chompy" cancerides is no worse attitude-wise then my G rosea.

Maintain a proper level of respect for their abilities and boundries and you should do okay. :)

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a juvie thats pretty nasty but Ive seen an 7inch female that is probably the nastiest spider Ive ever delt with. Thats the way I like em tho. She was at a pet store down here and I still might get her. :D

They're cheap too. The big girl is only like $50.

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
different "Animalities"

All animals have different "personalities" or animalities, and tarantulas are no exception, even with Hatian Browns. Mine allows me to hold her, she is somewhat nervous about it, but I have even used her with some success in programs I have done- just that I thought I almost lost her when I mistakingly breathed on her, and she almost jumped off my hand. Luckly she ran off my hand and stopped on my waist. Many it seems from here, are fine if you just do your thing but if you try and hold them they can be nervous and jumpy like mine at times. Mine is fine to hold when Im not distracted, and she does not kick much at all. Mine also has more purple than your average Brown, I think this might be some subspecies of sorts. The point is, know your animal, watch it's body language, and its behavior. Even rose hairs have been known to be SOBs, and my socalled "docil" 5" female Brazilian Black is not that docil and not very handlebile at all. Also I have found most Texas Tans I have worked with to be great to handle, yet I have also read on here and other places, several accounts of them being the oppostite! This is my brown eating a six spotted roach last April.

Attachments

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW yours is amazing, bump to the tarantulas have their own individuality and personality, some so called docile sp. are not so, and the same goes vice versa, treat your T by how it acts not by firstly going with the "general attitude" for that species. Good luck!

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as for my P. cancerides, however...

it's never boring at feeding time, though {D