Are these swammerdami?

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I received some Scorpions, some with the leg colour lighter and very different to the body colour, that I think are fulvipes, but these two have the same overall colour more or less, they are larger, approx 12cm, and are dark, with only tinges of lighter colour on the body and legs, one has much larger claws than the other, so hopefully a male/female pair (though just to note, I am keeping them seperate) they are Indian in origin, I managed to get some pictures with a mobile, sorry about the quality, are these likely to be Heterometrus swammerdami? I can probably get loads more of these.

Last edited:

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Better pictures would help. ;P
Im sorry, my camera is broke at the moment, and has been for some time, those were the best pictures I could manage with a mobile, other than swammerdami what other possibilities are there of them being? is there anyway I can tell for sure?

They look very similar to the swammerdami in this thread,

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=96996&highlight=swammerdami

and my other Indian Scorpions look just like the fulvipes in the same thread.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Coulda got lucky, wont know until you get better pics..

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Coulda got lucky, wont know until you get better pics..
They were bought as Heterometrus swammerdami (the same as my others that I think are fulvipes though..) theyre clearly different, and are definitly Indian, im able to get loads of Indian Scorpions from someone I know within the EU, the person I got them from is convinced they all are swammerdami, so im sure I can get plenty of that species eventually, (so the huge price they command may come down dramatically soon..) even if it means also receiving lots of other Indian species, other than swammerdami, what other Indian Scorpions looks similar to the ones in my pictures? and the pictures of Scorpions labelled as swammerdami in the other thread i linked to? as it would help narrow down what they could be.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Kevin, I'm not going to take a punt at guessing, maybe you could PM C_Strike, as he has both H. fulvipes and Swammi's. I'm after a breeding pair of Swammi's myself, any info on suppliers you could maybe share????:clap: :clap: :clap:
I would be eternaly gratefull.{D

Cheers

Damo (Scotland)

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Reported Heterometrus from India -

Heterometrus barberi
Heterometrus beccaloniae
Heterometrus bengalensis
Heterometrus flavimanus
Heterometrus fulvipes
Heterometrus gravimanus
Heterometrus kanarensis
Heterometrus keralaensis
Heterometrus latimanus
Heterometrus liurus
Heterometrus madraspatensis
Heterometrus mysorensis
Heterometrus phipsoni
Heterometrus rolciki
Heterometrus scaber obscurus
Heterometrus scaber rugosus
Heterometrus scaber scaber
Heterometrus swammerdami
Heterometrus tristis
Heterometrus ubicki
Heterometrus wroughtoni
Heterometrus xanthopus

Sources :
http://perso.orange.fr/eycb/scorpions/AIInde.htm

Kovařík, F. 2004. A review of the genus Heterometrus Ehrenberg, 1828, with descriptions of seven new species (Scorpiones, Scorpionidae).

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited:

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Reported Heterometrus from India -

Heterometrus barberi
Heterometrus beccaloniae
Heterometrus bengalensis
Heterometrus flavimanus
Heterometrus fulvipes
Heterometrus gravimanus
Heterometrus kanarensis
Heterometrus keralaensis
Heterometrus latimanus
Heterometrus liurus
Heterometrus madraspatensis
Heterometrus mysorensis
Heterometrus phipsoni
Heterometrus rolciki
Heterometrus scaber obscurus
Heterometrus scaber rugosus
Heterometrus scaber scaber
Heterometrus swammerdami
Heterometrus tristis
Heterometrus ubicki
Heterometrus wroughtoni
Heterometrus xanthopus

Cheers,
Ryan
Do you know where in India each species is found? I remember being told xanthopus are only found in the Western part of India, are any of the others found only locally?

Also, Ive just been told the "swammerdami" are originally from near Vellore, East India.

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, thats a lot of info to check through, according to that swammedami can be found across India, I'll need to check what species altogether are found in Vellore, and maybe from some other sources if im able to find any.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really nice. From pics I've seen and from the low quality pics in the thread, the shape of the chela and that ridge I can barely see running along one of them ...it wouldn't surprise me. I just have one problem with it, you're in Europe.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cheers Thaedion, don't know what was up with my version, I'm new to computers, they sting me more than my scorps do.:wall:

Damo

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
As you can see from the suggested documents (Kovarik + the Couzijn-based web key), swammerdami are from a relatively distinct taxonomical grouping so it should be quite easy to determine if that is a possible diagnosis or not.

Cheers,
Dave

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get some clear pics of the carapece, pincers, and body shot.. then you should get a decent idea, i myself would only be able to give a guess between the two but Gigas would be mucch more informative to ask

The granulation of the carapece is heavier with the swammies, in a particular pattern, fulvipes have little granulation on.
Pectine count would be more positive ID