Are these spermathecae i'm seeing?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys

Tiny obt moult was found today and i had to soap+water it just to get a view as it was properly crispy.

This was the best shot i could get and i think they're spermathecae i'm seeing, but granted the shot isn't great. Opinions?

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I can see a spermathecae. It's hard since it's not sclerotized yet and it's flattened , but you can see the bursa copulatrix. This is one of Craig McInnes drawings.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/wraithspirit/spider bits/femaleorgans.jpg
I'm sure you've posted your pic on arachnophiles.uk and he can tell you I'm seeing things. {D I usually try to lift the spermatheca with a pin. If you can lift it and see the uterus externus you know you've got a girl, but it's hard to do it on small molts and when they're wet I can never get a photo cuase the weight of the water flattens them again.
Diane

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah this T's moult is about 2cm across, so I'm trying to get a jump on it :) also makes getting something small into/behind the uterus externus really hard :p

Thanks for the response though

jb62

Arachnosquire
My handheld microscope is 60x- 100x it shows hairs looking like thick needles lol..
I won't say about looking at t eyes ( but I was shocked ).

But is it good enough to sex a sling?.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that would be plenty to sex moults. At best i'm achieving 5-10x at most with my setup. It's just all about lighting the subject correctly so you can see what you're looking for

My handheld microscope is 60x- 100x it shows hairs looking like thick needles lol..
I won't say about looking at t eyes ( but I was shocked ).

But is it good enough to sex a sling?.

Hellion299

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scope

Hummmm.......This is a neat picture...The scope I use ranges from 40x - 1000x but I have never had to use more then 100x to sex a molt even on my little 2" bugs. (Which is the size I like to wait to try an accurate sexing.) It's hard to tell but there does look to be spermathecae hiding there.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks Nerri

Does look like what i think are spermathecae, first of my OBT slings to be sexed! Yay!

Oddly it's the fastest growing of the lot so far. That could just mean greedy.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, Id say its spermathecae developing in its infancy, as Craig mentioned on AP's you can see the beginnings of the bursa copulatrix also.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cheers! yeah i posted these up on the same day :d just wanted to get a few opinions really :p

Yeah, Id say its spermathecae developing in its infancy, as Craig mentioned on AP's you can see the beginnings of the bursa copulatrix also.