Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Are these spermathecae i'm seeing?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by BrynWilliams, May 26, 2011.

1. BrynWilliams

BrynWilliams Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    Hey guys

Tiny obt moult was found today and i had to soap+water it just to get a view as it was properly crispy.

This was the best shot i could get and i think they're spermathecae i'm seeing, but granted the shot isn't great. Opinions?

[​IMG]

2. I think I can see a spermathecae. It's hard since it's not sclerotized yet and it's flattened , but you can see the bursa copulatrix. This is one of Craig McInnes drawings.
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/wraithspirit/spider bits/femaleorgans.jpg
    I'm sure you've posted your pic on arachnophiles.uk and he can tell you I'm seeing things. :wicked: I usually try to lift the spermatheca with a pin. If you can lift it and see the uterus externus you know you've got a girl, but it's hard to do it on small molts and when they're wet I can never get a photo cuase the weight of the water flattens them again.
    Diane

3. BrynWilliams

yeah this T's moult is about 2cm across, so I'm trying to get a jump on it :) also makes getting something small into/behind the uterus externus really hard :p

Thanks for the response though

4. BrynWilliams

anyone want to chip in?

5. jb62

jb62 Arachnosquire

My handheld microscope is 60x- 100x it shows hairs looking like thick needles lol..
    I won't say about looking at t eyes ( but I was shocked ).

But is it good enough to sex a sling?.

6. BrynWilliams

that would be plenty to sex moults. At best i'm achieving 5-10x at most with my setup. It's just all about lighting the subject correctly so you can see what you're looking for

7. Hellion299

Hellion299 Arachnosquire

Scope

Hummmm.......This is a neat picture...The scope I use ranges from 40x - 1000x but I have never had to use more then 100x to sex a molt even on my little 2" bugs. (Which is the size I like to wait to try an accurate sexing.) It's hard to tell but there does look to be spermathecae hiding there.

8. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

9. BrynWilliams

thanks Nerri

Does look like what i think are spermathecae, first of my OBT slings to be sexed! Yay!

Oddly it's the fastest growing of the lot so far. That could just mean greedy.

10. mcluskyisms

mcluskyisms Arachnoangel Old Timer

UK
    Yeah, Id say its spermathecae developing in its infancy, as Craig mentioned on AP's you can see the beginnings of the bursa copulatrix also.

11. BrynWilliams

cheers! yeah i posted these up on the same day :d just wanted to get a few opinions really :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.