Are there any Tarantula "treats"?

AnonymousFish

Arachnopeon
Ive been wanting to get my T some treats or maybe a toy to play with. her cage is a little barren with just a log, her water, and a fake plant. I have this massive log but i feel she wouldnt have enough space if i added it. Do T's care about space? Also, im going to get her a ping pong ball to "play" with. Do they like other toys?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tarantulas do not understand the concept of 'play', or of being rewarded with treats. They need to be fed and given water on a regular basis and they need a safe, appropriate, home where they are basically left alone. That is the best treat anyone can give them.
Yes, they can move stuff around their enclosure, and they often do, but that is not in the spirit of 'play'. That's more to do with trying to make their enclosure as appropriate as possible for them.

AnonymousFish

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas do not understand the concept of 'play', or of being rewarded with treats. They need to be fed and given water on a regular basis and they need a safe, appropriate, home where they are basically left alone. That is the best treat anyone can give them.
Yes, they can move stuff around their enclosure, and they often do, but that is not in the spirit of 'play'. That's more to do with trying to make their enclosure as appropriate as possible for them.
Im aware of this. That's why i put play in qoutations. Just want to give them other diet options and maybe something to do in their cage because its so empty

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Ive been wanting to get my T some treats or maybe a toy to play with. her cage is a little barren with just a log, her water, and a fake plant. I have this massive log but i feel she wouldnt have enough space if i added it. Do T's care about space? Also, im going to get her a ping pong ball to "play" with. Do they like other toys?
No, tarantulas don't like toys. I do though, so you can send some my way. :) Basically, tarantulas only 'do' three things: kill, eat, and reproduce. Any other behaviors a tarantula has is just to make those three activities more efficient. Every time someone claims that their tarantula is playing with a ping pong ball, they are grossly misinterpreting the behavior. Tarantulas hate clutter so all they are doing is trying to get rid of that dastardly white round thing that keeps getting in the way. An impossible task since there are four walls and a roof enclosing them.

Your question about tarantulas caring about space has a 'yes' and 'no' answer. They need enough space in their enclosure to build, or take up residence in, a shelter so that is the 'yes' part. The 'no' comes in when a tarantula is housed correctly they will only use the space in and around their shelter. Meaning that they need the space for their shelter, but any left over space is not utilized.

AnonymousFish

Arachnopeon
No, tarantulas don't like toys. I do though, so you can send some my way. :) Basically, tarantulas only 'do' three things: kill, eat, and reproduce. Any other behaviors a tarantula has is just to make those three activities more efficient. Every time someone claims that their tarantula is playing with a ping pong ball, they are grossly misinterpreting the behavior. Tarantulas hate clutter so all they are doing is trying to get rid of that dastardly white round thing that keeps getting in the way. An impossible task since there are four walls and a roof enclosing them.

Your question about tarantulas caring about space has a 'yes' and 'no' answer. They need enough space in their enclosure to build, or take up residence in, a shelter so that is the 'yes' part. The 'no' comes in when a tarantula is housed correctly they will only use the space in and around their shelter. Meaning that they need the space for their shelter, but any left over space is not utilized.
hmmm thats tricky then. Maybe ill add the log in and see how she does for a week

fried rice

Arachnoknight
There aren’t any treats you could give them, but you could give them hornworms :) you could also give them more substrate. Deep substrate is very important for terrestrial tarantulas.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I rehoused my Aphonopelma seemanni back in early November, its quit eating and just sits in a stress pose. I put a ping pong ball in the enclosure and its started pushing that ball around the enclosure almost everyday. Still not eating, but at least the stress pose is gone and the Tarantula looks to be bit...

...Happier(?) :bag:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

They hate clutter? Based on what I’ve seen they LIVE for clutter.

Clütter, bröther.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I get my mature Ts hornworms on occasion. They seem to enjoy them along with my Pacman frog and American toads.