Are there any physical signs that a T is about to molt?

Raine

Arachnopeon
I got my G. rosea about a week ago. I handled her only twice (first time to move her to her bigger enclosure, second because she climbed out onto me while putting in her new water dish and putting water in it.

She is a little over 4" and she eats, drinks and moves around well. Here I am only guessing it's a she. She hasn't molted yet and could very well be a he. Whichever it is it has webbed a bit in the new tank.

I noted when I first got her that it looked almost like someone had put 'glue' on her abdomen in one spot and a little on the legs. It's like clear and dried looking, like it would be from a glue gun if a very thin layer had been put on.

She was climbing up the side of her tank and I was watching her. It was then I noted on the underside of her legs in between the joints it is clear white, like clear glue but whiter. I have NO clue what that could mean. It's like little globs of glue, really. I thought it might be some sign it's about to molt. But not sure.

If some of you more experienced keepers has seen this before and could give me a hint as to what it is I'd really appreciate it! :worship:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's just what their joints look like.

Indicators of molt:
-Refusing food
-If it has a bald spot that is getting darker. (Only the darkening is the indicator, a bald spot is not an indicator of premolt)
3. Sluggishness

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. Smithi won't eat for weeks prior to her molt, also she gets darker... this may go on for a month or so for mine... I think my A. Avic is premolt, she normally charges for food, right now she's not wanting anything.

If they are premolt, and won't eat the food, take the food out and offer a few days later, still not hungry, then maybe it's premolt.

Here is a series of pictures I took of my B. Smithi right before and during a molt... if you can't see, just send a friend request and I'll accept it, so you know what you can expect during a molt...

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
If you rosea is eating she is not in premolt mine I believe is she hasn't eaten in over 2 months and is turning very dark it doest sound like you haveanything to worry about just keep feeding and enjoy her

Raine

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the advice! I've never looked at a tarantula up close the way I did today so I was a little confused about it. I didn't know they had joints that are whitish under their legs, or what to expect before molt. :) She ate just a few days ago, mawed down 3 crickets.

I added you Orchid because I couldn't see the photos. I'm sure you have a lot of other pictures that are lovely on there too, by the look of it! :D

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the advice! I've never looked at a tarantula up close the way I did today so I was a little confused about it. I didn't know they had joints that are whitish under their legs, or what to expect before molt. :) She ate just a few days ago, mawed down 3 crickets.

I added you Orchid because I couldn't see the photos. I'm sure you have a lot of other pictures that are lovely on there too, by the look of it! :D
I saw that and added you :)
I love my little bugs lol
Best of luck with your little guy!!!!