Are there any non "jumping spiders" that can actually jump?

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I was wandering if any other spider species that are not part of salticidae can jump.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Huntsman are great at jumping off the wall into your face if you miss while trying to catch them with a jar!

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I’ve noticed H. carolinensis slings can jump pretty well.

Arboreal tarantulas can jump pretty well as well.
Yeah they can, i just saw some videos and they can jump pretty far especially poecilotheria species.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Pisauridae can jump pretty well when hunting.
I saw one snatch a cranefly mid flight.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Any pokie can jump effortlessly. C versicolor also specializes in the great leap of faith, often at the most troublesome times. Avics in general can all jump.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Huntsman are great at jumping off the wall into your face if you miss while trying to catch them with a jar!
You're supposed to do like the hilltribe kids. Get your head right in their face then spook them. They just can't cope with hair very well and you provide an excellent pedestal for your friends to hunt them on.

The huntsman around here will sometimes leap, sort of bounce straight up about 4 inches before making a dash. I think it's to get their feet free from forest floor debris but it looks really weird when they do it on firm dirt or pavement.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Oh no, these are on the wall and jump straight at you if hassled too much. No doubt it's an evasion strategy but they end up on your face not a nearby tree or bush.

The Snark

Old Timer
Oh no, these are on the wall and jump straight at you if hassled too much. No doubt it's an evasion strategy but they end up on your face not a nearby tree or bush.
That's what I was talking about. Nod your head down so they get hair instead. It's actually pretty hilarious when they slam into your face. A total panic thing. The explanation for that move becomes obvious when you see them on a wall with geckos around.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
That's what I was talking about. Nod your head down so they get hair instead. It's actually pretty hilarious when they slam into your face. A total panic thing. The explanation for that move becomes obvious when you see them on a wall with geckos around.
And if Jackie Chan ever needs a stunt double just ask me to catch a huntsman.

The Snark

Old Timer
And if Jackie Chan ever needs a stunt double just ask me to catch a huntsman.
I don't even try. What is absolutely hilarious is comparing my clutziness to hilltribe village kids. They deftly snatch up full tilt Venatorias like like like... it was childs play! It's so cute, seeing them chase down a spider and grabbing it then with the free hand they muss their hair up and plop the spider on top of their heads.

I saw this little girl, maybe 3 years old catch one and put it on her head. It leaped off and she chased it down and put it back. It escaped again, and again. Finally with spider in hand she went into her house and borrowed a parent's hat. Ever so carefully she held the spider on her head then quickly slapped the hat on as she pulled her hand out. Her triumph lasted less than a minute as her mom came out of the house with a hoe, heading for the fields, and as she walked past she relieved the girl of the hat.
The girl is frozen, waiting for the spider to bolt again. The spider just sat there.

Last edited:

ArachnidBoi

Arachnopeon
Amazed no one has said Oxyopidae yet. Those can L E A P. I was so confused when I caught my first one and it jumped into the container- despite lacking any jumper characteristics!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Every lycosoid (lycosid/miturgid/zoropsid/pisaurid/Trechaleid) on earth, all sparassidae.

there are a few of uncertain placement like homalonychus- another excellent jumper. all gnaphosidae, ground sac spiders, basically most terrestrial spiders are capable of jumping.

The Snark

Old Timer
Saw a sparassid in the toilet bowl last night down near the water. I thought I was going to have a beast of a time getting it out without it going freak out and falling in the water. I lowered a rag down near it to climb on then zoom. Up the bowl, jumped upside down to the rim then leapt to the wall a foot away - a stroll in the park for it.
I was flat out amazed. Then I got to thinking, no inner ear. No sense of up and down. A jump is a jump from any position to any other position.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Saw a sparassid in the toilet bowl last night down near the water. I thought I was going to have a beast of a time getting it out without it going freak out and falling in the water. I lowered a rag down near it to climb on then zoom. Up the bowl, jumped upside down to the rim then leapt to the wall a foot away - a stroll in the park for it.
I was flat out amazed. Then I got to thinking, no inner ear. No sense of up and down. A jump is a jump from any position to any other position.
That's something I've always been curious of, how do they (along with most other insects/spiders) determine up and down. They almost always move upward, no matter how many time you turn them over in a jar. It makes collecting easy in most cases, catch something that bites or stings, turn the net so the opening is facing down and fish around with a vial at your leisure because it's not getting out. Recommend the combo nets, sweeping + aerial fabrics = you can actually see what you're trying to catch.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Every lycosoid (lycosid/miturgid/zoropsid/pisaurid/Trechaleid) on earth, all sparassidae.

there are a few of uncertain placement like homalonychus- another excellent jumper. all gnaphosidae, ground sac spiders, basically most terrestrial spiders are capable of jumping.
Huh, never really saw a drassodes jumping.
So, not all maybe?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Huh, never really saw a drassodes jumping.
So, not all maybe?
all gnaphosidae can jump. they actually share close kinship with Salticidae, along with Corinnidae, the ground sac spiders.

one family that rivals salticidae in terms of acrobatic prowess is Euticheridae, the true sac spiders.