Are there any non-hair kicking dwarf species?

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
Im a beginner and am looking to get a dwarf species that does not kick hair. I have a bit of skin sensitivity to abrasive material. Im pretty new to T's but I am well versed in Mantids. I'm considering the Cyriocosmus but I've heard they are kickers. Any other dwarfs that are Old world that you can recommend for a beginner? Sorry for the newbie questions but we all start learning from somewhere. :D

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I never had a Cyriocosmus kick hairs at me. They were usually happier to hide than to stay in and kick.

Hi all
I have Cyriocosmus elegans and Cyriocosmus leetzi juvenile (Sub adult) females and the both kick a lot once I open the lid while they retreat in their tunels.
D diamantinensis are NW that doesn't have urticating hair but they are lighting fast even as tiny slings(Just got few of those in addition to my 3 females and they did give me a good run on initial housing)and as they grow they get faster and will often stand their ground and slap and even strike on occasion.My only species that comes towards me if I disturb the webbing even after picking up and opening the enclosure.
Without any prior experience with tarantulas I will not recommend them for you.Same goes for the dwarf OW species as the lack of size is well compensated with speed.
Regards Konstantin

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Im a beginner and am looking to get a dwarf species that does not kick hair. I have a bit of skin sensitivity to abrasive material. Im pretty new to T's but I am well versed in Mantids. I'm considering the Cyriocosmus but I've heard they are kickers. Any other dwarfs that are Old world that you can recommend for a beginner? Sorry for the newbie questions but we all start learning from somewhere. :D
If I'm not mistaken, The Cyriocosmus elegans is a new world (Trinidad) dwarf. Mine never ever kicked at me. She much preferred to just run down into her burrow. That doesn't mean they don't kick hair around their enclosure though so it's possible to still be sensitive if you don't wear gloves.

Dolichothele diamantinensis doesn't have urticating hairs, but it's also a new world (Brazil) dwarf.

I only know about old world dwarfs because I googled them so I know they exist, but I don't know. Dwarf + old world + beginner.... one of these things just doesn't look right there.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Psalmopoeus pulcher are a smaller arboreal with no urticating hairs that make cool web curtains.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
@Mike Page why OW? There is plenty of NW options, genera Neoholothele, Holothele, Dolichothele, Catumiri, hobby "Scopelobates", Euthycaelus ...
Anyway, dwarfs with urticating setae rarely kick them and I have never heard of anybody having reaction to them. So if I were You, I would go for genera like Cyriocosmus or Hapalopus without worries.

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
@Mike Page why OW? There is plenty of NW options, genera Neoholothele, Holothele, Dolichothele, Catumiri, hobby "Scopelobates", Euthycaelus ...
Anyway, dwarfs with urticating setae rarely kick them and I have never heard of anybody having reaction to them. So if I were You, I would go for genera like Cyriocosmus or Hapalopus without worries.
I assumed Old world ones did not have urticating hairs. The ones you mentioned "genera Neoholothele, Holothele, Dolichothele, Catumiri, hobby "Scopelobates", Euthycaelus". Do these have urticating hairs as they are new world?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Not necessarily dwarf species, but definitely on the smaller side (around 4 in or so)...Tapinauchenius species. New world, arboreal, but extremely skittish and fast. However, no urticating hairs.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Coremiocnemis tropix. They're a rainforest dwarf species but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be available outside of Australia.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Im a beginner and am looking to get a dwarf species that does not kick hair.
Dolichothele diamantinensis don't possess urticating setae and they're no more difficult to care for than Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (which are in just about every "top beginner species" list you can find).

I'm considering the Cyriocosmus but I've heard they are kickers.
I've never seen my leetzi female kick hairs but tbh she's a pet hole and I hardly see her.

Any other dwarfs that are Old world that you can recommend for a beginner?
There are plenty of NW dwarf species that do not possess urticating setae. First ones that spring to mind are:

Any Holothele
Any Neoholothele
Any Dolichothele
Any Catumiri
Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" (Usually mis-sold in the hobby as Holothele sericea or Scopelobates sericeus)

No Psalmopoeus species is anywhere near a dwarf.
**Psalmopoeus langenbucheri has entered the chat**

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Dolichothele diamantinensis don't possess urticating setae and they're no more difficult to care for than Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (which are in just about every "top beginner species" list you can find).

I've never seen my leetzi female kick hairs but tbh she's a pet hole and I hardly see her.

There are plenty of NW dwarf species that do not possess urticating setae. First ones that spring to mind are:

Any Holothele
Any Neoholothele
Any Dolichothele
Any Catumiri
Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" (Usually mis-sold in the hobby as Holothele sericea or Scopelobates sericeus)

I completely forgot about them. They are NEVER for sale where I live, have never seen them. That’s probably why. Still, while Psalmopoeus pulcher is gorgeous and I love mine, they aren’t large but I wouldn’t consider them small.

Any Holothele
Any Neoholothele
Any Dolichothele
Any Catumiri

Hi
I won't argue in regards of the ease of care for D diamantinensis( fast growing ,great appetite...) but the speed is not sth I will underestimate. I have raised a batch of slings and have second one recently and they were all over the place before they layed their webs.
On both occasions of receiving them had situations of chasing slings on me and the carpet and they just keep going and going in a speed of light making my P irminia sling look like is walking in slow motion. lol
Luckily my observation is once they web the enclosure they will stop bolting out and will seek shelter in their web tunnels.
They a certainly manageable with care and precautions if you keep your cool.

@Mike Page
What is the reson for focusing on dwarfs?
Regards Konstantin