Are there any active centipedes?

User Name

Arachnopeon
Hi, I've owned an Indian blue leg centipede for almost a year and I have the option to get another centipede, I was wondering if there's any species that are more active on the surface since I rarely see mine as it spends most of the time underground. I don't know if all centipedes are like this or if there's some that are more active than others, I've thought about getting a flagtail centipede but I don't know much about it right now. I've also thought about getting millipedes or a scorpion but I'd want one that's a bit more active. If all centipedes/millipede/scorpions are like this and spend most of the time in the substrate I'd understand, I was just wondering if there's anything a little more active. My mum doesn't like reptiles which is why I got a centipede since I like them and she doesn't like spiders so I can't get a tarantula sadly, thanks for any feedback.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Its honestly hit or miss. S. dehaani are supposedly very shy and reclusive, but mine is out a decent amount. SA Giants are fairly surface active, but I know a few people that have them and they hardly see them. Same with S. heros. I have a S. heros arizonensis "Madrean Banded" that's out alot, but 6 months ago, that was not the case at all. It's all down to luck on whether or not your specimen is surface active or not. And sometimes, it can vary from molt to molt.

mellow

Arachnobaron
My scolopendra heros arizonensis is my most active centipede! I love my scolopendra heros arizonensis! 😁

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Chicobolus spinigerus or the ivory millipede is one of the most consistently surface active species of millipede. I highly recommend these if you want surface activity. If you put them in a tank with the ability to climb, they’ll do that too.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Even with the more active centipede species (ex, the South American giants) you’re going to have some periods of inactivity. When my galapagoensis has molted recently, she’ll be out on the surface every day hunting and tunneling etc. However if she’s had a big meal, or is premolt, she can go months without me even catching a glimpse of her.

Its well worth it IMO for the times I do get to see her however, she’s an extremely impressive animal and very interesting to observe.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Every individual is different. I’ve had ‘reclusive’ species out all of the time and vise versa.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
The south American giants are on display more than anyother I have kept. Specifically white legs, which also happen to avg around 1’ but come at a steep price (also very hardy compared to asiatic pedes)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
In my experience, centipedes get used to light after being in captivity for a while. Most of the ones I've owned for a long time sit in the open almost 24/7. I usually add a decent amount of leaf litter and bits of bark to the enclosure, cause it makes them feel more secure out in the open.