Are theraphosa stirmi a pet hole

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas are individuals. Whilst you may have an idea how they "should" behave you're rolling a dice.
I cannot tell if you are being serious or not... so, I'll just walk away...

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Nah they're definitely individuals. My stirmi is almost always in the hide, but its only 2.5" (sling) when they get older they come out. Get one though. They are awesome.

Pet holes are part of the hobby, thats why you have a collection

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
My T. Stirmi is ALWAYS moving around and walking about her tank, if she’s not out then I’m worried lol

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I just came home from work to find my T. Stirmi out of its hide for the second time! Immediately after I took this picture it darted back inside.

It's name is "Monster" because it eats nonstop. Only 3/9 of my T's have names (one was named when I bought it)

Attachments

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
My T.blondi is out a lot,but goes back to his hide when ever I make
it rain,and maintance.But we have been playing a game for a while now.
When I first got him,i would put the feeder right inside the hide.
Then I started leaving the feeder out a little farther out each time.

He is now to the point i can leave the top off the enclosure,place the prey item several
inches away from his hide and he will come get it,give me a dirty look,and slowly
walk back to his hide.FWIW.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cant speak of T stirmi, but had a T blondi long time ago. When it was juvenile it was more or less a pethole. As it grew and became adult she stayed out in the open more, and defended her terrarium by striking and stridulating. She kicked hairs alot too. Those hair was that bad that i decided to sell the spider. Couldnt stand it!

Last edited:

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Cant speak of T stirmi, but had a T blondi long time ago. When it was juvenile it was more or less a pethole. As it grew and became adult she stayed out in the open more, and defended her terrarium by striking and stridulating. She kicked hairs alot too. Those hair was that bad that i decided to sell the spider. Couldnt stand it!
That's like my LP. I'm going to get rid of it as soon as I confirm male likely because it's just too nervous and kicks hairs nonstop.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Pretty disappointed since I found out males mature quite small, but he is great, very fast.
Yeah that certainly does take the piss out of owning "the world's largest spider"

Is it the same for Stirmi? I obviously haven't sexed mine yet

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yeah that certainly does take the piss out of owning "the world's largest spider"

Is it the same for Stirmi? I obviously haven't sexed mine yet
It is weird, my B. klaasi male is 12cm, someone said their blondi matured at 7cm. Which mine is very close to now.

Might be different for stirmi, someone with one can tell you.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
It is weird, my B. klaasi male is 12cm, someone said their blondi matured at 7cm. Which mine is very close to now.

Might be different for stirmi, someone with one can tell you.
7cm? You must mean inches? What the...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've been toying at the idea of getting a stirmi for ages but I hear different things. Do stirmi actually adventure out and about or do they literally sit in their hides and never move. Currently got a 6" ish lp and shes always wondering around.
Depending on what the individual wants to do???
She’s not full grown the added humidity is good for molting . Makes them feel safe. I’ve seen every type of T burrow except wc g porteri. I generally don’t see much burrowing as adults .
I only had one Goliath ever she’s died of a cyst tumor. R.I.P. seller ripped me off , won’t say his name again old long thread on it .
Was full grown she’s never burrowed.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
My L.P stays out 24/7 I have never seen it use it hide. I have a 6" stirmi that always stays at the mouth of her hide. She comes out around 3am.... sometimes...

I've had my AF Stirmi about 2 months and she's almost always standing guard outside her burrow. She's also more active at night than my other T.