Are the Petco tarantula huts ok?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In that statement of mine you quoted, I am actually meaning people who work with PVC on a regular basis like construction, daily use, etc.. For those of us in homes where there might be some PVC pipes and a few scattered objects in our hobbies, I did not see anything that says it is life threatening (based on current information). If PVC pipes are leeching into drinking water you would figure that it could be detected and I saw nothing of the sort in my searches. I don't think this is like medical issues in the past like lead or asbestos.

At least one of of the chemicals sometimes used in PVC is banned in the EU, but there is no ban in the US so either we are just slow or the data is cloudy. The medical community is purging for multiple reasons. They not only want to insure they have a guaranteed sterile environment, but also have sophisticated electronics in use where you don't want any chance of unknown gases corrupting critical tests.

I have no plans to buy PVC since there are plenty other alternatives, but I also don't think anyone needs to panic unless they did modify PVC and then immediately place it into their tarantula enclosure.
Thanks for the clarification. I may indeed not use PVC that I cut w/a coping saw anymore. What's fine for reptiles is not the same for others of course. I'll have to think about this one and do some more lit searching.

I do know if you burn PVC to make a hide etc, toxic gases come out, but not permanently according to what I've heard (2nd hand info, not based on science!).

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Thanks for the clarification. I may indeed not use PVC that I cut w/a coping saw anymore. What's fine for reptiles is not the same for others of course. I'll have to think about this one and do some more lit searching.

I do know if you burn PVC to make a hide etc, toxic gases come out, but not permanently according to what I've heard (2nd hand info, not based on science!).
I agree.

What I could never find is what level the outgassing goes down to at steady state. It would be interesting to see some measurement data of samples that have been tested after initial heat treatment and then again a month later. The only data I can find is tests under vacuum for use by NASA.

EDIT* And most of NASA's data is for space specific products rather than consumer products.