Are the Petco tarantula huts ok?

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
Hello, my local Tucson petco has those tarantula hut things all containing avi. Avic. Should I spend the 20$ on it or go spend my 20$ and order from lllreptile

user 666

Arachnobaron
From what I have read it is a crap shoot whether you will get a spider matching the label.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Should I spend the 20$ on it or go spend my 20$ and order from lllreptile
I don't know... I remember a vintage and cool spaghetti-western of once called: 'Per un dollaro a Tucson si muore' (For one buck you can die in Tucson) therefore it's up to you my man u_u

:troll:

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
It is not my first t but it is my first arboreal t. I know it is a pink toe i would say it's 4 inches in leg span, you can see the "pink toes" so I know it is an avic.

Last edited:

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
But what would you guys do, im going to be by pets mart and can buy tomorrow

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I've heard a lot of bad things about T huts, so I'm guessing they're not great, lol. It's a cheap way of obtaining a tarantula, though (and it's dang near impossible to mistake a pink toe), although personally I wouldn't give any of my money to the animal abuse emporiums.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Nothing wrong with a responsible person buying and caring for a spider from petco. They aren't gonna stop carrying them whether u buy or not. I only buy from this site's classifides, but it's your choice.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
But what would you guys do
I would buy from a breeder, because they tend to correctly identify/label their animals a lot more reliably, and with the scientific name. Whether that's someone local to you, at a reptile expo, or an online vendor that ships, they can all work well.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
Another question, instead of fake bark decorations, would some pvc work, if I got some that's smaller in size and put a cap on it(no glue or cement of course) and some bigger ones it can go in with no problem and hide in(I know they make own hides but I think it's good to provide some premodern hides).

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
I don't see it being an issue because it won't erode from all the spraying and moisture

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Another question, instead of fake bark decorations, would some pvc work, if I got some that's smaller in size and put a cap on it(no glue or cement of course) and some bigger ones it can go in with no problem and hide in(I know they make own hides but I think it's good to provide some premodern hides).
I would not use anything that you know is made from PVC. There are lots of unknowns on whether it might cause harm to your tarantula over time. It is already being considered as dangerous to humans when prolonged exposure to it occurs.. It would be better to choose a safer plastic if you choose something fake.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello, my local Tucson petco has those tarantula hut things all containing avi. Avic. Should I spend the 20$ on it or go spend my 20$ and order from lllreptile
Both are bad choices, honestly. But in my past I have also "rescued" a couple Tarantulas from big chain stores.

Personally, if you want the best quality animal(s) you should buy from reputable breeders or from this site's reputable sellers in the classifieds. If you want a larger specimen it will take some digging but they are out there. There is a price difference but I view it as a necessary sacrifice.

It's your choice either way, but personally I prefer to support the quality sellers.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
If you're going to get a T here in Tucson, there are a few great LPS that have better beginner species than Avic avic. Ken the Bug Guy on 1st Ave near Ft. Lowell has some sub-adult Aphonopelma chalcodes for decent prices. Tropical Kingdom has slings/small juveniles of a lot of great species including Brachypelma albopilosum.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I'm going to go to ken in a few days, he seems to have some great prices imo

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is already being considered as dangerous to humans when prolonged exposure to it occurs.
Not doubting you, but I need to read the citations. Not second info, like "this other thread, this guy said..."

Plastics and such do outgas for sure, some more than others. I'd like to know because it wasn't long ago that people used PVC to make inexpensive hides for Ts, myself included. I have a few PVC pieces not being used and if cutting them is such an issue, I'd like to read on this.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Not doubting you, but I need to read the citations. Not second info, like "this other thread, this guy said..."

Plastics and such do outgas for sure, some more than others. I'd like to know because it wasn't long ago that people used PVC to make inexpensive hides for Ts, myself included. I have a few PVC pieces not being used and if cutting them is such an issue, I'd like to read on this.
In that statement of mine you quoted, I am actually meaning people who work with PVC on a regular basis like construction, daily use, etc.. For those of us in homes where there might be some PVC pipes and a few scattered objects in our hobbies, I did not see anything that says it is life threatening (based on current information). If PVC pipes are leeching into drinking water you would figure that it could be detected and I saw nothing of the sort in my searches. I don't think this is like medical issues in the past like lead or asbestos.

At least one of of the chemicals sometimes used in PVC is banned in the EU, but there is no ban in the US so either we are just slow or the data is cloudy. The medical community is purging for multiple reasons. They not only want to insure they have a guaranteed sterile environment, but also have sophisticated electronics in use where you don't want any chance of unknown gases corrupting critical tests.

I have no plans to buy PVC since there are plenty other alternatives, but I also don't think anyone needs to panic unless they did modify PVC and then immediately place it into their tarantula enclosure.