Are Tarantulas scavengers?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I always thought that T's strictly ate live food. But a couple months ago, I got a very tiny sling (Thankyou Fran), and I dont have access to any pinhead crickets, SO I tore the leg off of a small cricket, and moved it around in front of the sling. It was scared of it, and just ran away any time it got close.

Thinking that I would try again later, I just left the leg laying in the center of the container, away from the slings burrow. When I came back a few hours later, I was surprised to find the sling sitting on top of the leg, and eating. It also dragged it around to various points in the container.

The sling has now molted a couple of times, and is probably one quarter to one half inch in size, but it still refuses anything that moves. It also still runs away from a cricket leg, but will eat it later if I put one in the container.

So is this some kind of weird behavior, or is this normal for a sling? I've always had larger T's, and they have never shown the slightest interest in anything that was not moving, so this is all new to me.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was curious about the same thing. I posted this thread a while back with some of my questions/observations:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=200542

Beyond my subadult murinus, I haven't tried it again with any of my non-sling Ts (I forgot about it). I may try it with my LP later and see what happens. I think its all a matter of them actually coming across the food and probably how fresh it is....

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always thought that T's strictly ate live food.
Scavenging has been documented in a wide range of arachnids, and not just in juveniles. And scavenged food does not have to be "dead" food - wild adult arachnids have been observed eating non-mobile prey items such as frog eggs too.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
When my large P.antinous eats a pregnant Dubia roach, the egg sack drops down. After she is done with the roach, she always picks up and eats the sack.