Are retreats/hides a necessity?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I was wondering are retreats a necessity when it comes to housing a T? I took a look in the TKG and it was vague on the subject. Also they have pics in the book with Ts with no hides. all opinions are welcome.

Salt

Arachnopeon
depends on the species. But yes, you should always include a hide in the enclosure, otherwise they can get stressed and die, very easily.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Like salt said, it depends on the spiesies. i dont have clay pots etc. in my enclosures but when i move them over to a new home i try to arrange the loggs and then dig what woud look like the begining of a burrow. And if they decide to use it they will dig a bit further and make their own burrow.

Some use it and some dont. they make their own somewhere. but they all have some sort of retreat. As soon as thier startled they retreat to the safety of the burrow. Whitch leaas me to belive they do infact need one.

Regards

Hagar.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
thanx guys, i got a new T on saturday and i think i need to add another piece of grapevine to make a hide for her

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My little slings don't have hides and my small pulchra dug its own as did my little rosea.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My N. chromatus, L. parahybana and P. antinous all use their hides extensively. They usually have half their body sticking out of it waiting for prey to happen upon them. They also use them for their alone time and meal time. Seeing as how they like the hides so much, I couldn't imagine not providing one.

Salt

Arachnopeon
My little slings don't have hides and my small pulchra dug its own as did my little rosea.
As I said, it's species specific. However, you should always provide them with a hide as it's better to have one and not ned it than to need it and not have one.

If you neglected to give them hides, that's very irresponsible keeping.

cadster

Arachnopeon
I have a hide for my Albo - which she only use during her molt.. She's always out in the open.. Yeah, build one. Won't hurt to have one.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not provide them when they are slings because the container is so small. Once they hit 2" they get a bigger home with a hide.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They don't necessarily need hides as long as they can create their own. Most of my NW terrestrials forsake the hides I provide them, choosing instead to hand out in the open. However, ALL of my Ts have enough substrate so that if they feel the need, they can burrow on their own. I also tailor their enclosures for their habits. If I see they like to burrow, like my Aphonopelmas, I'll house them with deep substrate. If they sit out in the open like my G. pulchras and Lp forsaking hides and burrows, I'll keep them in shallow containers BUT with enough to make their own if they eventually want.

So no, you don't need to give them one (though it might be nice) but you should give them enough substrate to work with.

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
depends on the species. But yes, you should always include a hide in the enclosure, otherwise they can get stressed and die, very easily.
yep I agree with this. I'd have one for your T. :) They will be happier when they have a hideout

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
a hide would be good, would make your T's much more at ease..and if they get startled or something it would be good when they have something they can run into safely..:D

also if they eat..they can go somehere where they can have a peaceful meal..LOL

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
otherwise they can get stressed and die, very easily.
I'll have to disagree with that and say they are very very adaptable creatures. I can't say I've heard of any Ts stressing and then starving them selves to death.

Although people do claim that wild caught and some obligate burrowers will starve them selves if the enclosure isn't just right.

I have yet to witness this though.

All of my slings burrow too.

They don't necessarily need hides as long as they can create their own. Most of my NW terrestrials forsake the hides I provide them, choosing instead to hand out in the open. However, ALL of my Ts have enough substrate so that if they feel the need, they can burrow on their own. I also tailor their enclosures for their habits. If I see they like to burrow, like my Aphonopelmas, I'll house them with deep substrate. If they sit out in the open like my G. pulchras and Lp forsaking hides and burrows, I'll keep them in shallow containers BUT with enough to make their own if they eventually want.

So no, you don't need to give them one (though it might be nice) but you should give them enough substrate to work with.

+1 to this, I can't word it better.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ agree with the above.

I actually dont provide hide for a number of my Ts.

I dont have hides for my B. albopilosum pair, as they wont use them, and dont burrow. so I just took them out. They are doing just fine.

Same goes for my B. smithi pair. and my lasiodora's...B. vagans...GBB'...ect

They can adapt. If they want to burrow they can. I give them plenty of sub to do so. they choose not too.

For slings I never provide hides. They will burrow anyway.(most of the time)

I have yet to have one "stress out and die"

LV-426

Arachnobaron
well i bought me a more suitable piece of grapevine, its up to her now if she wants to take advantage or hang out in the open

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Every single one of my 60 plus species of scorpion & tarantula use the hides I put in their enclosures. They remodel them often or bury them & reconstrust the front of it to suit ther needs. I use pvc pipe cut in half & placed up against the side of the glass so I can see them 24/7. I also put a piece of black paper on the outside so I lift it up to see them & they think its a complete tunnel. Kim