Are P. bromelicola kept similarly to Avicularia?

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
I am really fascinated by how Pachistopelma species have adapted to living in bromeliads and I'd like to try keeping some in planted vivs with live bromeliads (means the overall humidity would have to remain about 40-60%, higher inside the brom). But if they're really rough with specialized requirements then I'll put the idea aside for now.

I can't find a lot of people talking about how they keep Pachistopelma species for some reason though I see a lot of nice photos of the tarantulas themselves.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I am really fascinated by how Pachistopelma species have adapted to living in bromeliads and I'd like to try keeping some in planted vivs with live bromeliads (means the overall humidity would have to remain about 40-60%, higher inside the brom). But if they're really rough with specialized requirements then I'll put the idea aside for now.

I can't find a lot of people talking about how they keep Pachistopelma species for some reason though I see a lot of nice photos of the tarantulas themselves.
I do believe Pachistopelmas are a subfamily of Avics, thus their care would be similar.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I have a Pachistopelma bromelicola sling in my collection right now very very beautiful species as slings. I care for mine pretty much the same way as my Avicularia sp and just like some Avics they don't have the best feeding response.
You also need multiple places for them to use as a hide such as fake plants at different levels plus a piece of cork bark although mine doesn't use the cork bark to make a web hammock like an Avic would it just tends to use it as an anchor point so it can cover most of the canopy so to speak with web.
If you get 1 of these be aware they are extremely fast in comparison to my Avicularia. Apart from the speed though they are docile/tolerant I've heard them described as gentle in the past.
Mine tends to make somewhere in the middle of all the plants it's home but very occasionally it will sit at the very top of the enclosure waiting for a chance to stretch it's legs which it will and as when given the chance

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
You also need multiple places for them to use as a hide such as fake plants at different levels plus a piece of cork bark although mine doesn't use the cork bark to make a web hammock like an Avic would it just tends to use it as an anchor point so it can cover most of the canopy so to speak with web.
This is great news. I'll be really glad if they don't spend all their time behind something. Also a very informative post all around, thanks.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is great news. I'll be really glad if they don't spend all their time behind something. Also a very informative post all around, thanks.
Although they are all individuals mine is out and about more than half the time, like I say it's generally midway up the enclosure.

Just for the record the pictures you see online really don't do this species justice the colouration and patterning are stunningly beautiful they are a very unique species their carapace is almost flat so they look a little less bulky than an Avic of the same size

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
Just for the record the pictures you see online really don't do this species justice the colouration and patterning are stunningly beautiful they are a very unique species their carapace is almost flat so they look a little less bulky than an Avic of the same size
If they look half as good as Advan's pics I'll be happy. And even this documentation shot of the mature female I think is really remarkable.

https://www.tarantupedia.com/images/PachistopelmabromelicolaAdultFemaleBertani.jpg

I'm excited to see how flattened they are because all the shots seem to be from the top but even there you can tell there's a difference.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they look half as good as Advan's pics I'll be happy. And even this documentation shot of the mature female I think is really remarkable.

https://www.tarantupedia.com/images/PachistopelmabromelicolaAdultFemaleBertani.jpg

I'm excited to see how flattened they are because all the shots seem to be from the top but even there you can tell there's a difference.
I'll try to get a side view picture at some point but here's my sling from a few months back (i don't advocate handling btw I had no choice)

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member

Pretty much every pic @advan takes seems to be gold:) If you want to see the true beauty, or as close as you can get to it in a pic, advan as well as @CEC 's pic threads are some of the best.

OP, don't get hung up on humidity numbers, in fact, ignore them, it will only cause problems and its completely unnecessary. Very cool group of ts, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

And an extra what's up...just saw you're from WI! What part?

http://files.fbcoverstreet.com/cont...a7YHYlu2XQ8ZA1NIBczNUg4dxnKncieVORKGBsPJe.jpg

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Pretty much every pic @advan takes seems to be gold:) If you want to see the true beauty, or as close as you can get to it in a pic, advan as well as @CEC 's pic threads are some of the best.

OP, don't get hung up on humidity numbers, in fact, ignore them, it will only cause problems and its completely unnecessary. Very cool group of ts, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

http://files.fbcoverstreet.com/cont...a7YHYlu2XQ8ZA1NIBczNUg4dxnKncieVORKGBsPJe.jpg
People still look at my pic thread? :O

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
OP, don't get hung up on humidity numbers, in fact, ignore them, it will only cause problems and its completely unnecessary.
Unnecessary for T's, but I think humidity above normal for Wisconsin is needed for bromeliads not to dry out and I'd really like to have live ones grow off cork bark in the adult terrariums at least. Plenty of time to work that out though.

A little north of Milwaukee.

People still look at my pic thread? :O
Of course, it's amazing.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have a few of them in a 1-1.5" size. I love them and am thrilled regardless of their higher price.

They are acting extremely docile and probably are most similar to an Avic Metallica on this characteristic. I don't try to nudge mine with a paint brush or handle them so I don't know if they would be defensive or skittish if being nudged. They don't move at all when I open the enclosure.

They are eating more often than any of my Avic slings. They are hanging out at the top of the container. I find mine upside down on the top of the enclosure instead of the side quite often. I haven't owned mine through a molt yet, so I can't provide any details on my results there.

Last edited: