Are old worlds dangerous?

Tjones19

Arachnopeon
Looking to get some old worlds but my parents are knda against it. They think they could kill me lol, can you guys give me some info i can pass on to them :) thanks

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Getting an OW as a first (or even third) tarantula is a terrible idea. They're worlds faster than you, and their venom is medically significant.

louise f

Arachnoangel
How many spiders do you have now ?? and what species do you have ?? Because if it is your first T. Dont get into OW as a starter. There are so many great beginner species out there.
Such as:
Grammostola pulchripes
Brachypelma smithi, emilia,albopilosum.

No true they can`t kill you, but they can give a very potent bite. And they are fast very fast. And they dont back down, they are known for stand up and fight back. Please read the bite reports on those. They are no joke.
But you should listen and respect your parents words.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
have you read bite reports? theres a bunch on this forum, check them with your parents and see what they think. and mind you, most those bites are on adults, not 16yo's.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If these are your first tarantulas, then owning them would be a terrible decision.

It's like this, if you were going to own your first snake, would you own a cobra or a nice kingsnake...

OW bites have sent grow men to the hospital.

There's so many posts like this over and over again.

Read here to ease your parents mind on their "lethal" venom

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-venom-and-anaphylaxis.287185/

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
They will not kill you, but they will put you in a world of hurt, and will put you in the hospital. As a 17 year old who started at age 12-13, can't stress enough not to rush it, experience does matter. I keep Ts of all kinds now, while old worlds are great in their own right, I've actually come to love my new worlds even more. There's no rush, and plenty of species to keep. Look into some Psalmopoeus species if you've kept other Ts before but like that old world flare, they've got the attitude but the venom won't be as punishing if you do get bit. You will not be disappointed, they are fabulous Ts!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yes.

Edited to add: Depends on what you call "dangerous".

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Looking to get some old worlds but my parents are knda against it. They think they could kill me lol, can you guys give me some info i can pass on to them :) thanks
As others have said, if you don't already own tarantulas it is a bad move to get an OW. If you do already have Ts what species do you keep? As far as them being "dangerous", it depends on your definition. If you limit it to "can it kill me?" then no. If you include "can it kill another pet of mine?" or "can it put me in the hospital with agonizing pain and other awful symptoms?" then yes. You should also respect your parent's wishes. Educate, absolutely. But also respect it if they still say no.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If your parents are against it and won't budge, then just work your way up. Personally, I find there are MANY NW terrestrials that are more striking, more out-in-the-open, and less pet hole ish than most OW. I'm just learning this myself, but T's like N. chromatus, Pampho sp., and Brachypelma sp. are great. And they are in no way going to put you in the hospital ;) I would just look for some of the really amazing NW species out there and gain some experience. You may even like them more than any OW you will own :D

Glenn L

Arachnopeon
Hmm I myself started with a chevron and moved to H.gigas and the orange bitey thing. While the orange bitey thing is fast I think my 6 inch chevron would win the race now have some slowbies brachypelmas on the way so it will be a huge shift in speed.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
@Tjones19 If you even have to ask, I would recommend avoiding OW, and stick to NW, beginner type, terrestrial species, with low humidity requirements.
just my .02